CASE 3

By the time I alerted Yelena to all the details that I spared to Wynn about my absence, informed Gia and my family about the sudden retreat I was going on, and finally made it back to my apartment—there was a shiny black gift box waiting with my doorman.

Inside the box were the details of where I should be staking out O'Brian's—and what I should do in certain scenarios.

Like if I get discovered or if I don't get any intel at all.

Or even other locations that the infamous leader is known for going to.

There were at least three different leads I could try to follow before reporting back to Yelena—which made me feel a little better about the case.

As I pinned my long hair up into a bun, my eyes inevitably glanced down to my phone, noticing Gia's name light up on my screen.

I grabbed my phone, sliding the text open as I grabbed my holster to snap around my thigh covered by my jet-black jeans.

G: Enjoy your retreat. Text me when you get back! Love you!

I smiled to myself at her sweet text, but the smile quickly faded when I realized it was all a lie.

That I lied to everyone I loved.

I sighed, knowing it came with the job, but the realization definitely wasn't an easy pill to swallow.

I pursed my lips into a line as I snapped my gun into place, adjusting my black V-cut long-sleeve shirt before I slid on my black tennis shoes.

Soon I was leaving my apartment for what I knew would be the last time in weeks.

I held my mask in my hand as I briskly walked down the back stairwell of my building before I exited the warm building into the dark alleyway.

I knew that once I was in my stakeout position, the black mask that covered half of my face would be on and I would officially be in cover.

The walk toward the small family-owned business felt entirely exhilarating, knowing I was really undercover on such a huge case.

Even the idea of seeing the boss of the Scars felt so exciting.

I could feel my heart pump with excitement at even the thought of it.

But as soon as I made it to my stakeout position hidden by the parking garage towering over O'Brians—I realized how big of a deal this was.

And that if the leader didn't show up, my chances of solving this case were down at least fifty percent.

I seriously couldn't mess this up.

I have to prove Yelena right—I have to prove myself right.

My attention almost immediately snapped into focus when four SUVs diligently pulled in one after another.

This was it.

I lowered down slightly as every door to each SUV flung open, allowing men to filter out precisely before...

I furrowed my brows—taking in the person who was shielded under a black cloak.

Well, no wonder nobody knows who the leader is.

They seem bent on keeping their identity hidden, and right now it's definitely working.

I held back an irritated sigh, knowing I had to do something to at least get a lead.

Preferably one on the leader's identity.

But before I could spring into action in the slightest bit, shots rang out—easily sending the men around the person under the cloak into action.