CASE 10

The masquerade party seemed to be in full action when our driver pulled to the front of the building.

People seemed to be already lined up at the entrance with unique masks of their own as they provided a detailed code to the guards.

Specifically, a number sequence that Fenix had us both memorize.

"You can't put it in there," Fenix said as I went to open my purse.

I pulled the gun away from the open clutch, "Well unless you have any better ideas‚ this is where it's going," I said, knowing that I didn't exactly have any pockets.

I sucked in a slight breath when Fenix pulled the silky material of my gown up, revealing one of my legs—and the feeling that I had seemingly been avoiding had easily come back tenfold.

And that was clear by the goosebumps coating the skin of my exposed thigh.

Hopefully, Fenix just assumed I was cold.

"How about right here?" Fenix sarcastically questioned, grabbing a small black band from her pocket.

I swallowed slightly, watching as she secured the thick band around my thigh before grabbing the gun from my hand.

My lips pursed into a tight line when her fingers barely grazed my inner thigh, strapping the gun into a place where it couldn't be seen.

But that place seemed to be entirely intimate, and it was clear that Fenix knew that, especially with the way her dark eyes suddenly darted up to mine.

Her hand seemingly paused, carefully holding my stare as her hand rested against my sensitive skin.

I could easily feel my breathing grow shallow and the air around me grow warm—yet goosebumps began covering my entire body.

It had been a very—very brief thought.

But the idea of arriving late to the event crossed my mind.

The idea of sleeping with a wanted assassin—and possibly fucking up this mission was a brief consideration for me.

But luckily, I didn't get to think about it for long—not with the door suddenly opening for us.

Fenix instinctively pulled my dress back down, turning toward the door being held open by our driver.

And as she held a hand out for me, I could feel my conscience scold me—knowing that I was about to willingly make a really fucked up decision just a few seconds ago.

One that could get me into deep waters.

I seriously need to restrain myself.

I reluctantly grabbed Fenix's hand, exiting the car before subtly pulling my hand away from her hold.

But Fenix only pressed her hand to the small of my back, and it was clearly purposeful, which managed to irritate me.

Or maybe I wanted it to.

It was better than finding her or the action attractive.