CASE 45

"You're insane."

Fenix only hummed, rolling my suitcase to the door that I specifically told her I wanted to handle, "For you, yes—otherwise I'm not," she countered as she walked toward the garage door.

Count on her to go against my instructions.

Then again with the two-week recovery she seemed to make in the hospital—I can't say I'm surprised.

She had only gotten out of the hospital today, and she was already taking me to my place to pack my bags and head to hers.

And while I was happy with her recovery—I was also slightly worried.

I mean, it was a little fast, which can only mean she has experience.

Which... was confirmed when she revealed that she's had a few gunshot wounds before.

What a few entailed was not something I wanted to know.

"Fenix," I whined, trying to pull the suitcase from her grasp but she only kept walking, rolling it into the house before heading towards the stairs.

I swear she's so stubborn sometimes.

"I told you I've got it," Fenix said, easily picking the suitcase up and climbing the stairs.

I rolled my eyes, "You just got out of the hospital," I pointed out, following behind her with the duffel bag that I managed to snatch up before she could.

"And a week too late at that," Fenix said, referring to the lengthy time she spent there instead of actually acknowledging what I just said.

She does that a little too often.

"That's not the point," I retorted, following her down the hallway to her room.

Fenix hummed, "Then what is?" she questioned.

I let out a huff, "That you shouldn't be—"

But I quickly cut myself short when I made it into her room... or our room? I don't know.

There were numerous bouquets of pink roses on the large bed with floating balloons labeled Welcome Home Dev.

I blinked a few times, "You..." I trailed off speechlessly as Fenix grew closer to me, "Shouldn't they say you're name?" I joked, unconsciously smiling to myself.

"Now why would I do that when I love your name so much?" Fenix joked back.

I unconsciously reached out for her, feeling entirely surprised as I pulled her into a hug.

"This is so thoughtful—you really didn't have to do all of this," I murmured as we pulled back from the brief hug.

Fenix tilted her head as she stared down at me, "And miss out on witnessing the look on your face? I don't think so," she said, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to my lips.

I hummed, feeling my smile grow, "I love you," I murmured against her lips, drawing her in closer for a deeper kiss.

Fenix's arms tightened around my waist, "I love you too," she said, pulling back slightly to ask, "Should we cancel dinner with Noa and Lunden?"

My eyes widened slightly, suddenly remembering our plans—that I now wanted to cancel.

But they leave town tomorrow morning, so the idea of canceling wasn't all that appealing.

Fenix and I could always finish this later.

"I want to—but we probably shouldn't," I admitted, sliding my hands up her toned arms, "They leave tomorrow morning right?"