CASE 21

The white dress clung perfectly to me—illuminating my frame as the thin straps dangled across the sides of my arms.

The strapless dress seemed to not only expose my defined collarbone but my ample cleavage too.

And with my light makeup and my voluminous hair flowing down my back—I felt... normal?

For once, I didn't feel like an FBI agent.

Instead, I felt like a normal twenty-three year old about to go to a nearby club with her friends.

And even the thought alone sent me for a loop.

I had made friends.

Normally, I just stuck to my closest friend Gia, but it felt weirdly refreshing to meet new people.

As I exited the bathroom, I easily spotted Fenix who was setting a water bottle down on one of the nightstands.

And almost immediately, I was sent back to earlier today, recalling the intense fight that turned into...

That's not important.

I stopped right behind her, "Still recovering from your loss?" I joked.

Fenix turned around to me, and almost immediately her dark eyes were openly taking in the dress clinging to my body.

It felt as if she were trying to remember every detail, especially since she didn't bother meeting my eyes until a few seconds later.

The action alone sent that familiar warmth through me that I recognized only Fenix could cause.

"I should be the one asking you that question," Fenix finally responded, and even as her eyes held mine—I could see something dark burning behind them.

I narrowed my eyes at her, "Just admit you lost fair and square," I said, raising a brow at her.

Fenix only chuckled, "You want me to lie to you?" she questioned, clearly holding her ground.

I gave her a narrowed look, "Fenix admit it," I demanded.

But Fenix only shook her head to herself, "Admit what? That I pinned you down until you almost tapped out?" she asked, carefully looking between my eyes to gauge my reaction.

That was definitely there.

Suddenly the room feels like it's a thousand degrees, and I'm sure my face was already coated in a shy blush by now.

I let out a deep sigh as I somewhat composed myself, "Are you going to get ready for tonight?" I asked, purposefully changing the subject.

Fenix hummed, and I could tell by the sudden smirk on her lips that she was very aware of the topic change.

"No, we're going to discuss the details of the Scars with Noa's father," she said.

And almost automatically, I could feel something deflate in me.

It's weird... but I kind of wanted her to come.

I mean, I haven't really left her side since we started working together.

I had never actually felt unsafe before given that I'm a trained special agent—but now I've experienced how it felt to be by Fenix's side...

How easily she would kill someone for me—how she was there to wipe the splattered blood from my face or hold me as I finally cried about what happened to Chloe.

I huffed dramatically, "But what will I do if something happens?" I questioned, clearly teasing her, but deep down inside I was being entirely serious.

Fenix cocked her head to the side, analyzing my face as she said, "I don't know Agent Rossi, what will you do?"