CASE 44

"I still can't believe you took I love you from me," I said, climbing back into the hospital bed with Fenix. 

It was a little past lunchtime, and everyone had already seemed to visit before deciding to give us some alone time and return for dinner. 

Well, everyone except for Gia—who I instructed to come a little later so she could meet Fenix one-on-one. 

Gia was an important figure in my life, and she deserved a proper introduction. 

Along with my parents—who have no idea about Fenix. 

But I plan to tell them, excluding the fact that she's an assassin of course. 

It'll be kind of hard to fill them in on how we met, but I think they'll manage. 

Fenix shrugged, "I couldn't let you have it," she determined. 

I gave her a narrowed look, "Keep playing and I'll go get a ring to propose to you first," I said, raising a sharp brow. 

Fenix only hummed, "Who's to say I don't already have a ring, Rossi?" she said, clearly set on winning this little game we had going on. 

I gave her a tilted look, "And who's to say I don't either?" I challenged back. 

Fenix raised a brow, "Where is it then?" she questioned, clearly trying to win the argument. 

But I definitely wasn't letting her have it. 

"It's invisible," I said, smiling proudly to myself as I grabbed her hand and pretended to slide it onto her finger, "But still very meaningful," I added. 

Fenix tilted her head, "Well, that's just not going to work," she concluded, holding my eyes, "Perhaps a real one," she said, looking down at my left hand. 

I hummed, "Perhaps," I breathed out, watching as she gently held my left hand that she analyzed precisely. 

And even if we were joking, it felt like our words held some sort of truth. 

Like we both subconsciously meant it? 

"Did we just get engaged?" I questioned, furrowing my brows as I met Fenix's eyes. 

Fenix pursed her lips, "I don't know... did we?" she questioned, clearly as confused as me. 

"We don't even live together," I pointed out, laughing slightly to myself. 

But Fenix only remained serious, "Move in with me," she offered, and it was clear by her unusual seriousness that we were actually having this conversation, "I mean we practically lived together these past few weeks," she pointed out. 

I nodded, not even giving the idea a second thought, "I do love your house," I subtly admitted, shyly meeting her eyes. 

Fenix hummed, "And you would look so good all over it," she said, allowing her lips to twitch up into a smile, "And I don't just mean sexually—I mean, your belongings, like your hair dryer or that lip gloss you always seem to wear." 

I unconsciously smiled, realizing that she really paid attention to such small details about me. 

"Guess I'm moving in," I murmured, feeling my chest grow warm with happiness. 

Fenix hummed, "And maybe get a ring without an engagement," she suggested, still not letting go of the fact that she wanted me to be openly claimed. 

I laughed slightly, "A ring without an engagement?" I questioned back, clearly amused by what she had suggested. 

Fenix hummed, "Maybe just a band, so I can propose with a real ring later on," she concluded, and it was so odd to hear her talk about something with so much certainty.