CASE 20

"Where are you going?"

It had only been an hour since we had arrived and Fenix was clearly headed off somewhere.

Fenix looked over at me as she adjusted the black Nike jacket that clung to her frame almost too well—and the way she had paired it with matching black joggers seemingly made my mouth water.

I shook myself from my thoughts that were set on taking a very inappropriate turn.

"Down to the ring," Fenix said, running her hands over her slicked-up hair that was pulled into a high bun.

I furrowed my brows, "Ring?" I questioned, lying up from the bed.

Fenix hummed as she walked toward the door, "Fighting ring—I have to practice some moves," she explained, easily making me nod a few times.

I personally didn't think she needed any practice.

But even so, I decided to say, "Yeah, your moves are a little rusty."

Fenix paused by the door entirely, and I couldn't bother to push away my growing smirk—watching as she slowly turned to face me.

"I'm sorry, did the FBI agent—whose life I just saved four times—have the nerve to give her opinion?" Fenix countered back to me, walking over toward the bed I was seated on.

I shrugged as I stood from the bed, "Call it constructive criticism," I said, patting her shoulder as I walked past her.

But Fenix easily gripped my wrist before I could pull my hand away from her shoulder, quickly pulling me back to her.

Fenix stared down at me carefully, "Go get changed," she said.

I furrowed my brows, "Changed?" I questioned back to her.

Fenix hummed sharply, and it was clear I had just challenged her ego, "You heard me," she said, letting go of my wrist, "I'd love to hear your constructive criticism in the ring, Devora."

My brows unconsciously raised, feeling my face grow entirely hot at just the mere use of my name that she purposefully dragged out.

It was always so odd to hear her say it.

"Well, I would..." I trailed off, searching for an excuse—not because I wasn't down for a little fighting, but because the idea of even openly touching her felt intimidating, "But I don't exactly have the clothes for it," I lied.

Fenix chuckled.

"You're forgetting I shopped for you?" She said, clearly amused by the clear lie I decided to use, "Go get changed and be ready in ten," she directed.

I gave her a narrowed look, "But—"

"Am I not making myself clear enough? Go get changed," Fenix cut me short, motioning her head toward the bathroom.

Remind me to never challenge her ever again.

I let out a dramatic sigh, "Whatever," I mumbled, grabbing my bag as I headed toward the bathroom.

"Drop the attitude before I drop it for you," Fenix called out as I shut the bathroom door, rolling my eyes to myself as I began getting changed into suitable fighting clothes.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should've used the excuse that I had to get ready for tonight, but it's definitely too late now.

Besides I still have a few more hours until we're seemingly supposed to leave for the club.

"You know I'm not going easy on you right?" Fenix said.

We were now down in the very large gym after I had changed into a black sports bra and matching black leggings with my hair pulled back.