CASE 24

The next morning, I woke up to the bright sun beaming in through the large windows.

My head was heavy and aching—and my eyes felt like they were going to fall out of my skull.

But even the most excruciating pain wouldn't distract me from the memories resurfacing in my head.

The interrupted conversation with Fenix, the club where three men were killed—the bureau would kill me if they knew I witnessed that without reporting it, but oh well—and lastly the last chunk of the night that I spent with Fenix.

She pulled my hair back, took off my makeup, and provided me with clothes and water—and I finally admitted that I wanted her.

And I didn't regret that in the slightest bit.

"Fenix?" I called out, feeling entirely confused as I patted the empty bed beside me.

But what if she regrets it?

I suddenly looked over to the nightstand for my burner phone, but my eyes quickly zoned in on the note and Advil pills resting beside the water she had gotten me last night.

Had an important meeting regarding the Scars.
We'll talk later.
-Doctor Ellis

I couldn't help but smile, suddenly recalling the name I had jokingly used last night that she undoubtedly found sexy.

Even the memory alone managed to make my stomach tie in giant knots—she found me sexy.

And maybe I knew that, but hearing her say it aloud, sent something unfamiliar through me.

I set the note back down, grabbing the pills that I threw back with some water before grabbing my phone.

And almost as soon as I read the time—my eyes widened and my stomach easily dropped.

It's almost two in the afternoon.

How did I even manage to sleep for this long?

An empty sigh fell from my lips, stretching slightly before climbing out of the warm bed.

Soon, I was brushing my teeth and washing my face before getting changed into a black long-sleeve bodysuit with light-wash jeans—redoing the bun Fenix had done last night to make it look a little neater.

By the time I was finished getting myself together and walking out of the room, it was close to three.

And as I walked toward the kitchen, I prayed that Lunden or Arya would be down there.

Otherwise, I won't exactly know anyone.

I peered around the dining room, keeping an eye out for the familiar duo—but when I somehow fell short, a sigh fell from my lips, forcing me to walk over toward the kitchen to grab something to eat.

After grabbing a yogurt cup and exiting the kitchen, I walked back over to the empty dining room table.

Well, that's before I seemingly looked out of the windows of the estate—instantly noticing Arya and Lunden seated outside on the sectional laughing and conversing.

A smile broke out on my lips as I eagerly walked past the table toward the tall back doors.

And almost as soon as I made out onto the back patio, the pair's attention was easily on me.