CASE 9

When Fenix arrived back to the hotel room, the night sky had coated the busy city of Boston.

I had been surviving off of room service and rented movies—feeling entirely bored out of my mind.

And slightly worried.

Which annoyed me, but even after all she had done, I would never wish anything bad on her.

Even still, I somehow knew Fenix could handle herself.

She's managed to do it all this time.

"Time to get ready," Fenix said, setting the bags and shiny black gift box down at the end of the bed.

I furrowed my brows as I hesitantly stood from the bed, walking over toward her, "You went shopping?" I questioned, analyzing the numerous bags.

Fenix began taking the clothes from the bag, "After your fit earlier—I thought it was best if I went alone," she explained.

I rolled my eyes, "It wasn't a fi—" I cut myself short when Fenix suddenly looked over at me with a raised brow, and at that moment, I decided to just leave the sensitive topic alone.

Fenix took the clothes from the bags, "This should be enough to last you through the trip."

I felt my eyes widen slightly, realizing that all these bags were for me—and it was a lot of fucking bags.

Fenix is saying the rest of this trip, but these clothes could last me the next few years.

"Wait, all of this is for me?" I asked.

Fenix nodded once, "Minus the outfit, I got for tonight—yes."

I furrowed my brows at her actual selflessness—imagining Fenix taking her time to shop for me.

I mean there were so many bags—and from so many different stores.

But before I could say thank you or remain stuck silent, Fenix headed toward the bathroom with one of the shopping bags in her hand—and it was clear she was still rather irritated with me.

I let out a small sigh, suddenly feeling bad for how everything went.

The fact that Fenix just shopped hours for me somehow felt like her own unsaid apology that she seemed entirely reluctant to say.

And it was clear that her ego was much worse than mine—given that I was ready to just apologize now.

But instead, I decided to finish unpacking the clothes—folding the pajamas and casual outfits that she seemed to pick out for me.

I won't lie and say she didn't have good taste.

By the time, I finished unpacking the clothes and folding them into the new navy leather duffel bag she seemingly got me—Fenix was emerging from the bathroom dressed in a black pantsuit that clung perfectly to the curves of her toned body.

There goes that feeling again.

A very inappropriate feeling that I shouldn't even be acknowledging.

I looked away from the woman before I could actually give myself a chance to stare—or worse, check her out.

Instead, I grabbed the shiny gift box with the dress and headed into the bathroom.

But even as I showered and blow-dried my hair, the image of her managed to stick to my thoughts like dried glue.

It was such an easy contrast to my thoughts from earlier—and in all honesty it confused me.

Especially with how a part of me felt excited to lay eyes on her again.

I shook my head to myself, reaching into my purse to grab my lipgloss.