CASE 23

I giggled uncontrollably, watching as Arya skipped drunkenly down the hallway with Lunden by her side.

"You guys are insane," I called out between laughs, stopping beside them at the door to Fenix and I's shared room.

Lunden jokingly bowed, "Your room my lady," she said, laughing slightly as Arya bowed to.

And before I could say anything else or even get my laughter under control—the bedroom door was swinging open.

Low and behold—stood Fenix wearing grey sweats with her dark hair pulled up into a tight bun and her bare face as glowy as ever.

Is it just me or did she get more attractive within the span of the four hours I was gone?

"Feni!" I mocked cheerfully, pulling her into a hug.

Fenix kept her hands strictly by her sides even as I pulled back from the brief hug, "You guys got her drunk?" she questioned, clearly unhappy with the state I was in.

Lunden awkwardly pursed her lips, stumbling away from us with Arya, "So you see..." she trailed off, "Run," she suddenly whispered to Arya.

And just like that, they were skipping back down the hallway—leaving me a laughing mess.

Fenix let out a dramatic sigh, "Come on," she said, pressing her hand to my lower back as she guided me back into the room.

And as we walked into the bathroom, I said, "You know I've been meaning to talk to you all night."

Fenix lazily hummed, opening one of the bathroom drawers, "Oh you have?" she said, clearly uninterested as she grabbed a hair tie.

I nodded, "Yes, and I'm very upset that you cut our conversation short earlier," I said, crossing my arms over my chest as Fenix pulled my long hair up into a bun.

"I didn't cut anything short," she emphasized, securing my hair out of my face.

I gave her a narrowed look, "They offered to go downstairs. We could've finished our conversation," I pointed out, but Fenix only began grabbing the makeup remover and cotton rounds.

I feel like she's not taking me seriously.

And wow do I have so much I want to say to her—like how pretty her face is or how badly I wanted to hug her right now in this very moment.

Fenix halted unwrapping the cotton rounds from the wrapper when my hand landed on her arm, "You're not listening to me," I whined.

Fenix shook her head to herself as she leaned against the sink, crossing her toned arms over her chest with her dark eyes pinned to me.

"I'm all ears," she said, but her light tone made it obvious that she was only entertaining me.

I took a step toward her, feeling entirely warm with so many different things I wanted to say to her.

How I wanted to let her in—to actually try to be together.

I wanted to tell her how safe I felt in her arms... that she simply makes me feel a way that no one ever has or could do.

I want her and only her.

And even if this was all running through my head—Fenix's dark eyes pinpointed on me easily made nervousness cave within me.

"I want..." but I easily trailed off, holding Fenix's careful stare.

I was trying to acknowledge her words from earlier on in the night, but I couldn't bring myself to say them. Even with liquid courage.