CASE 38

FENIX'S POV

It had officially been three days since Devora left me in that hotel room—and I had been practically pulling my hair out trying to find the Scars.

I knew that the leader orchestrated all of this—It was clear to me that once Devora found out about those texts, everything had been set up for them.

It's why I didn't want her to leave that hotel room, but I also wasn't going to force her to stay—not after what she had just found out.

Luckily, I managed to get barely a glimpse of the license plate the night that car took off with Devora drugged and unconscious.

My first instinct was to follow the car, which worked out given that I got led to a high-security estate on the outskirts of Dubai.

But I only remained seated in the car, waiting for even a glimpse of Devora or the leader—I even began thinking about plans, knowing that the Scars wouldn't be here for long.

And I was proven correct when I managed to follow the ten SUVs to a nearby tarmac where I watched men in suits guard someone under a black cloak toward the plane while one of the guards annoyingly carried a sleeping Devora to the plane.

I wanted to kill them all—to shoot them until I physically couldn't anymore.

But then there was that one question roaming my mind, Why do they want Devora?

I knew she wasn't in danger, clearly, the leader wanted her unharmed—but who's to say my outburst wouldn't put her in danger?

I definitely needed a clear plan and fast.

And the sudden plan that I managed to come up with not only shocked me but my friends as well.

"You're working with the FBI?" Noa questioned through the group FaceTime call.

I could hear Lunden laugh in the background, "Now this is quite amusing."

The turn of events definitely was... unique?

But Devora's boss, Yelena seemed to track her pager, which was apparently with the Scars as we spoke.

Either it's a set-up or an accident—either way, it'll lead me to Devora.

"The FBI can be helpful," Armani chimed in.

I raised a brow, looking between the two Facetime boxes occupying Noa and Armani's faces, "See, Armani thinks it's a good plan," I pointed out.

Noa rolled her eyes, "Armani also works with the FBI—they have an agreement," she retorted.

But I only shrugged, knowing I'd do whatever I had to do to find Devora—even if that meant working with the FBI.

Yelena and I had a clear deal—an add-on from the one Devora and I had made.

If I get Devora back to safety—which I will—then the deal Devora and I struck will still happen.

I'll still get off the most-wanted list, which seemed like the literal last problem I had, but I knew once this was all said and done... I would want something different for my future.

That would hopefully be with Devora.

I'm just praying she can get past the fact that I lied to her.