CASE 13

I furrowed my brows, hearing a ringing sound that easily pulled me from my sleep.

My heavy eyes were forced to flutter open just as Fenix pulled back from me and reached for her ringing phone.

I yawned, rubbing my tired eyes as she read the caller ID—clearly not happy with the person who was calling.

"Yes," Fenix said, and even the sound of her raspy morning voice seemed to send an odd flutter through me.

I pushed the unfamiliar feeling away, finding it weird that I found so much as her voice attractive.

Fenix hummed, "Get to the point, Tati," she said, her tone easily clipped.

And while I wanted to focus on her irritation—all I could ask myself was, who is Tati?

And more importantly, why do I care who she is?

"I'll be there," Fenix said, hanging up the phone and setting it back down on the nightstand.

I watched the woman carefully as she suddenly stood from the bed.

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously.

Fenix stretched her arms slightly, "For a run," she said, her tone blunt and completely contrasting the one I had heard last night.

Now it really made me wonder who was on the phone, and where she was going tonight.

And before I could think it through, I asked, "Who were you on the phone with?"

Fenix directed her stare down to me as her lips inevitably twitched into an amused smirk, "If I didn't know any better—I'd think you were writing a book, Rossi," she said, clearly amused by my questions.

And the accusation alone managed to make my face grow warm, knowing the questions sounded like something a girlfriend would ask.

Why I was so curious about what she had going on was beyond me.

"Well, I am an FBI agent—questions are my forte," I said, quickly thinking of a suitable excuse as to why I was asking so many questions.

And before I could gauge Fenix's reaction to the excuse, I turned around, acting as if I were about to go back to sleep.

"I was on the phone with an old friend," Fenix suddenly confessed.

I turned my head slightly to meet her dark eyes that were pinned on me—feeling entirely surprised that she spilled the details.

"She says a member from the Scars will be making an appearance at her club," Fenix added.

My brows unintentionally raised, "You have a lead," I declared.

Fenix's smirk grew, "Yes, Rossi—unlike you, I have a lead," she said, clearly boosting her own ego.

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed a pillow and threw it at her, "Go for that stupid run of yours, Ellis—it's too early to be annoying me," I said, turning back around.

Fenix dramatically scoffed, "That's rude—imagine I got kidnapped on my run? Then what would you do?" she retorted with a fake offended tone.

I laughed to myself, "I'd feel bad for the kidnapper that's what."

Fenix laughed once, and I managed to feel internally grateful to hear even a second of the sound again.

"Yeah, me too," Fenix agreed, and I could easily hear her footsteps retreating away.

I felt internally grateful that Fenix couldn't see the annoying smile stuck to my face.

I let out a deep sigh, allowing myself to grow comfortable in the empty bed as I thought about tonight.