CASE 39

"Devora."

"Devora—wake up."

"Come on—"

The voice was cut short when my eyes fluttered open on queue, rubbing my tired eyes as I expected to look up at Wynn.

But instead, it was—

Sky?

"What are you doing here? How are you even here?" I spilled the questions out back to back, knowing Wynn definitely had all the doors secured, especially mine.

Sky lifted up the covers, "I have clearance—come on," she urged in a whisper-yell.

I furrowed my brows as I laid up from the bed, "Where are we going?" I questioned, sliding on the slippers beside the bed.

"I'm helping you get out of here."

My brows shot up almost immediately, "Wait, really?" I questioned, knowing I had just formally met the real her only a few hours ago.

Sky nodded, "Yeah, I mean, morally I think this is wrong, especially after seeing you and your girlfriend together," she explained as I stood from the bed, "My boss just can't know or she'll kill me—or probably worse even," she said, clearly knowing Wynn to be ruthless.

I didn't hesitate to nod a few times, "Of course, I won't tell her—" I suddenly placed my hand on her arm, "—Thank you," I said, and even I could hear the genuineness in my tone.

Sky smiled, "Don't thank me until you're officially out of here," she joked, humbly brushing off my gratitude.

I didn't even hesitate to follow after her through the open door that she gently shut behind us—before she opened one of the double doors.

"What if she heard us?" I whispered as we walked so quickly down the hall, that my legs started burning.

Sky shook her head, "I know for a fact that she's in the middle of a meeting with the teams that should last—" she looked at her watch, "—another fifteen minutes," she concluded.

I felt the knots in my stomach loosen slightly, feeling slightly at ease but not fully—at least not until I made it out of here.

I don't even know where I'm at but I know the first thing I'll be doing once I get out of here—running.

And fast at that.

"Through here," Sky motioned, opening one of the hotel room doors that looked normal among the rest.

My brows furrowed, taking in the flights of carpeted stairs that seemed to match the hallway theme.

"Boss has this back exit for emergencies," Sky explained, clearly noticing the confusion on my face.

And the stairwell made sense—I mean, it's definitely clear that we're underground, and elevators could quite literally stop working and you be stranded down here.

I looked up at all the stories of stairs, "Makes sense," I whispered to myself.

Sky nodded, "Come on—we have at least 10 stories to climb," she urged, motioning me along.

My furrowed brows were now raised, clearly not that thrilled to hike up so many sets of stairs.

But it was definitely better than nothing.

"We should probably start running then," I concluded, knowing that Wynn would be done with her meeting soon.

And with that, we were practically racing up the stairs, jumping two steps at a time as I seemingly yearned for freedom.