𝟸. 𝙹𝚎𝚛𝚔𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚍

⋆⛧*┈┈┈┈﹤୨♡୧﹥ ┈┈┈┈*⛧⋆

Not long after, Charlie is taken away for his procedure while I continue running the ER.

Since he left, I've been called at least twelve times for multiple different things including a young teenager who didn't know how to fish and ended up with a hook through his right cheek.

It's been eventful to say the last.

My ass hasn't touched a seat in nearly two hours and my muscles are that tense I'm sure a masseuse would retire after getting rid of the knots in my shoulders alone.

Since the hospital doesn't pay for a massage therapist to follow us around and relieve any tension, I have to try work them out myself. So instead, I finally sit down in my chair at the nurse's station with my palms wrapped around the back of my neck and gently kneading my muscles that are so tense I'm convinced hugging me would be like embracing a coatrack.

God I've never felt so nauseous in my life.

Im stilling clasping my neck when someone practically falls down in the chair next to me with the loudest groan and I can smell the stench of coffee on them from here making my nose scrunch in return.

"If I see one more teenager with a head lack from the dumbest shit, I'm jamming my pen in my eye." Rhys groans causing me to let out a laugh.

"I know. We just had a thirteen-year-old with alcohol poisoning." I pause for a moment before fully turning towards him. "Thirteen!" I shout causing Rhys to wince slightly. "At thirteen I was studying and beating my friend's brother for top spot in the class."

"I was wondering when that would come up." Rhys smiles and I roll my eyes. "Okay when did he turn into that? What happened to the lanky guy we used to know?"

Rhys went to the same high school as us. We weren't exactly friends, but we had conversations in biology class every day, apart from that, we never spoke.

That was until nursing school, which was a shock to me given that we all thought he'd end up being a professional football player until he apparently got high and realised 'his true calling was helping people through the power of medicine'.

Completely different from my epiphany.

I was all set on being a doctor, I even made it through most of med school but then I had to drop out and move to Italy when my Abuela got sick, and it wasn't doctors that came out and connected with her. It was the nurses.

They came to my Abuela's house every day, got to know me and my grandmother and we got to know them and that's what I wanted. I wanted that connection with patients, I wanted that connection with their families and the people around them.

So instead of going back to med school, I went to nursing school and got everything I wanted.

Except the exhaustion, nobody really clued me in on that.