OLD DREAM

The meal lasted until more than nine o'clock in the evening, and everyone was drunk. Especially Song Daozhen——Tao Mu had known the old man for so many years and had never seen him drink more than two cups. But he also became drunk with the rest today and when everyone helped him to lie down in his room, his mouth was still drunkenly muttering something. Tao Mu faintly heard the old man say "Little Wen'er".

Dean Tao took off the clothes and shoes for old man Song, helped him to lie on his side, and added warm water to a towel used to wipe his face and hands. After everything was finished, she took the dirty clothes that old man Song had taken off, and dragged Tao Mu out of the room.

The color of the moon was like water, and the breeze was refreshing. Moonlight poured down from the old locust tree, like a thin layer of gauze, covering the quiet courtyard. The people who were drunk had already gone to the wing rooms to lay down to sleep.

Dean Tao put the clothes that old man Song had taken off into a enamel washbasin that had chipped paint, and put it under the faucet. While washing, she said: "The little Wen'er that old man Song mentioned was his son who died early. His name was Song Yunwen. He usually never talks about the past, but today he is drunk, and likely more emotional."

Tao Mu's heart softened and couldn't help asking: "Then the old man hasn't thought about building a new family for so many years?"

Dean Tao was silent for a while, and the movements of her hands also slowed. After a long period of time, she said lightly, "No. It's probably because the past hurts too much. He kept saying that the fortune teller told him he was born under a murderous and unlucky star, killing his wife and his son, and that if he marries a wife and has children it will only bring harm to others and himself, therefore he should be alone all his life."

"Can fortune tellers be taken seriously?" Tao Mu was someone who was reborn, and most disbelieved in fate. Hearing these words, he was very disapproving: "One's life depends on how we live it. I don't believe in fate. From now on, I will be the grandson of the old man, and I will stay with him for the rest of my life, support him in his retirement."

After a pause, Tao Mu also said to dean Tao: "Dean, in my heart you are my grandmother. I will also support you in your retirement in the future."

Tao Mu spoke this from the bottom of his heart. But he didn't expect dean Tao to suddenly become angry, giving him a glare and scolding lowly, "What nonsense!"

Tao Mu was taken aback and watched dean Tao holding the enamel washbasin and walking under the grape rack to dry the clothes. The moonlight shone on half of her face and the outline of dean Tao could faintly be distinguished, revealing a mixture of sadness and joy.

Tao Mu scratched his head stupidly, and his brain, which had always been running fast, became more and more sluggish under the erosion of alcohol. He still didn't manage to understand why dean Tao was suddenly angry at him.

Tao Mu, who couldn't understand it, went into the west side room by himself——the Song family's courtyard residence was the old-fashioned three-entry house. The front was changed by Song Daozhen to open the Song Ji restaurant. Further inside was the main courtyard. Old man Song lived in the main room by himself, and the side rooms on both sides were locked with big brass locks, and ordinarily no one was allowed in. Behind it was a back room, which was used to house the two workers in the restaurant. Later, the two workers got married and both moved out. Old man Song now used the back room as a warehouse utility room.

In the spacious and empty courtyard, Tao Mu had his own room, the west side room. It had been renovated according to Tao Mu's preferences with air-conditioning, TV, and computer all available. Even the thickness of the bed was according to Tao Mu's preference. The quilt was aired out every day, and it still smelled of the sunshine. Tao Mu felt drowsy as soon as he lay down, and quickly fell asleep in a short while.