SIGNING CONTRACT IN HONG KONG

Before Tao Mu officially joined the crew, he had already set off a hot search in the Hong Kong entertainment circle. As many Hong Kong netizens found FlyNews.com, soon, the news of Tao Mu's participation in the film "Black and White" also spread in the mainland.

The Hong Kong film and television industry had always been known as the Hollywood of the East. Especially in the second half of the 20th century, there have been many popular classics. The cultural output included the entire East Asia and Southeast Asia. However, at the beginning of the new century, Hong Kong film and television dramas gradually fell behind. Although many A-list superstars were still sought after by audiences and fans. But whether it was a movie or a TV series, it often fell short in terms of box office and ratings.

Of course, the development of Hong Kong film and television dramas had reached a certain stage, and it had entered an embarrassing bottleneck period where there was nothing to film. The more important reason was that the cultural censorship systems in Hong Kong and the mainland were different. Some classic themes that were immensely popular in Hong Kong often failed to pass the review when they arrived in the mainland.

Just like the film "Black and White", because it was a police and gangster film, the subject matter was very sensitive. In addition, at the end of the plot, the mob boss, played by Hong Kong superstar Zhou Yanqing, managed to escape to Southeast Asia with huge assets after successfully plotting against the undercover cop played by Yan Sheng and several other higher-ups in the mafia. This was of course to lay the groundwork for turning "Black and White" into a series, but in the eyes of the bigwigs in China Film Administration (CFA), this kind of plot where the villain boss escaped justice was particularly inconsistent with the core socialist values. Not to mention the undercover cop Zhou Yuanting played by Tao Mu, actually went bad in the second half of the film. In order to betray the undercover cop played by Yan Sheng for profit, he joined forces with the mob boss played by Zhou Yanqing to set up the scheme, which almost caused the death of the hero played by Yan Sheng.

This part of the plot was even more impossible to broadcast in the mainland.

Therefore, after the film was released in Hong Kong, it was not passed when it was reviewed by the mainland. The opinion given by the CFA was that the villain must be punished for evil. So the director added a scene of the villain being caught and imprisoned for Zhou Yuanting, played by Tao Mu at the last minute. In the original plot setting, Zhou Yuanting, played by Tao Mu, should have escaped far away with the mob boss.

As a result, in order to promote the core socialist values, Zhou Yuanting was caught by the police when he was about to escape and was sentenced to ten years.

In fact, when the CFA gave its revision advice, the filmmakers did not want to revise it, wanting to keep the integrity and coherence of the plot. However, considering the vast film market in the mainland, they eventually compromised.

Of course, the main reason was that the Zhou Yuanting played by Tao Mu didn't quite meet the director's casting standards. The actor of Zhou Yuanting, who Director Xu Musen wanted to choose in the previous life, was originally a very popular young actor in Hong Kong. However, relying on the power of the Shen family, Tao Mu insisted on playing the role of Zhou Yuanting. And because the young actor that Director Xu Musen valued was caught in the whirlpool of public opinion because of the scandal of opening a room with his bankroller. So Xu Musen had no choice but to compromise in the end.

In this life, Director Xu Musen naturally first wanted to cast that popular young actor from Hong Kong. After his scandal came to light, only then did Tao Mu come to mind. But the main reason was Tao Mu's identity as the founder of FlyNews.com. As for Xu Musen's polite words when he sent a role invitation to Beijing Film, that he fell in love with Tao Mu's dancing in H Town and thought that this role belonged to none other than Tao Mu. Although it was true, everyone knew that if Tao Mu was just a martial arts stand-in with no background and no support, then even if Tao Mu was the Zhou Yuanting in the movie come to life, Xu Musen would never use a pure rookie to play such an important role.