Chapter 32

"Dude, where is he?" says Kie loudly as she looks at JJ, who is standing on the boat making some adjustments

"Dude, where is he?" says Kie loudly as she looks at JJ, who is standing on the boat making some adjustments. Pope winds up a rope and looks at her with eyebrows drawn together. Rosa is sitting on the dock, wiping dried blood from her nose with a tissue, while just staring off into the distance and being quiet. JJ has tried to talk to her, but she has stopped answering, probably just still in shock. JJ looks over at her and sighs quietly as he wants to help her, but for the first time she doesn't share her feelings with him.

"Give him a second. He'll be here" Pope says to Kie and JJ nods slightly "He's coming. He'll be fine."

Rosa turns her head to the side as she hears sirens and then sees a police car pull up. She quickly stands up and looks at JJ "JJ!" he also looks at the police car and grabs her hand "Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat."

"Untie it" Kie looks at Pope who quickly unties the boat.

"Shit" Rosa mumbles softly and JJ is about to help her onto the boat.

"Wait" he looks to John B who is getting out of the police car, "No way."

Rosa turns her head to him and starts to smile in relief.

"No f'ing way" Pope grins and Kie just looks at him in wonder, "I'm sorry."

"You've gotta be kidding me" JJ laughs and gets off the boat while Rosa slowly walks over to John B.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin" he also walks up to Rosa and hugs her tightly, which Rosa immediately returns and takes a deep breath.

"Okay. That's believable" Kie laughs and looks at the two.

John B slowly breaks away from his best friend and pulls his eyebrows together in shock as he sees her face "What the hell happened?!" he looks at the strangulation marks on her neck, but Rosa just shakes her head slightly "Nothing-" Pope interrupts her "Nothing?" JJ then nods, "First Barry hit her with his gun and then Rafe tried to choke her." John B looks first at JJ and then at Rosa, "What?... When I come back I'm going to -" Rosa interrupts him "It's alright Johnny, you need to get off the island now..."

"It wasn't easy bro, but I got the Phantom for you" JJ says next as he realizes Rosa doesn't want to talk about the subject "and she runs like she was made yesterday" he tosses him the key "You ready to go?"John B stares at the boat and then looks at Rosa, "Where's Sarah?"

"She's not with you?" she looks at him worried and he shakes his head, "No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her" Pope looks at him and pulls his eyebrows together."Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her."

"John B, look at me" JJ stands in front of him "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay?" JJ looks at him seriously, "Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?" John B looks at Rosa desperately and she reaches for his hand before squeezing it gently, JJ shakes JB's arm "Brownsville. You... Hey. You got that?" he puts his hand on John B's cheek who looks away from Rosa and to JJ, "Yeah, yeah. Brownsville."