Chapter 14

"Are you kidding me?" JJ stands next to her "Worst-case scenario

"Are you kidding me?" JJ stands next to her "Worst-case scenario..." Rosa looks up at him "for real..."

"Why'd it have to be here..." Pope and John B stand with the others "of all places?"

"I heard that Mrs. Crain buried her husband's head on the property..." JJ looks at Pope seriously while nodding, Kie pulls her eyebrows together and looks at the guys with her mouth open.

"Bullshit..." John B is the first to enter the property, followed by Pope, Kie, Rosa and then JJ.

Rosa clings to Kie's back and she shakes her off a little, "Let go... if we have to run then I can't..." Rosa slowly lets go of Kie and looks around in a panic.

"Look, you guys know whose house this is, right?" Kie looks at Pope and John B.

"Oh, yeah. No, I do," JJ replies.

"Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place" John B looks to the others.

"Shh" Pope puts a finger to his lips, "What?"

"Which stories did you hear?" JJ walks next to Rosa and looks at Kie.

"The one where she killed her husband with an axe and that she's been holed up ever since" Kie shrugs. JJ and Kie walk in front. Rosa squeezes in between Pope and John B "I don't want to walk behind..." she looks at the boys anxiously.

"On certain nights, when the moon is full.... you can see her in the window!" Kie wiggles her fingers and makes fun of JJ, "Waaaaah..."

"No, it's not funny, 'cause it's all true" says JJ sourly.

"I swear to God, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis. Jeez!" JJ turns and looks at Pope, John B and Rosa. He turns abruptly and forms his hands into fists as he raises them toward a stature. Rosa flinches, but laughs a little when she sees what JJ was scared of. A crow lands in a tree next to Rosa and she jumps forward, terrified, and quickly squeezes past Pope and John B. She clings onto JJ.

"Wait, you knew Hollis Crain?" Pope looks at him questioningly.

"Yeah, dude."

"Dude, how do you know Hollis Crain?"

"She was my babysitter, man" he looks around, "She told me all about it."

He looks back and forth between his friends, "Told me the truth.... about her mother and what happened in this house..." the five look to the house and Rosa looks back to JJ with her mouth open waiting for him to continue talking.

"So as a kid, she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father, and...she was a murderer and all" Rosa furrows her eyebrows "No..." she whispers softly and looks at JJ waiting "Hollis didn't believe it" JJ shakes his head and Rosa nods slightly.

"Until that night" JJ looks down at the floor.

"What night?" Rosa shakes his arm anxiously.

"It all came back to her..." JJ looks back at the house, "When Hollis was six years old,
she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in a sink..." he looks at John B and he rolls his eyes in annoyance "full of blood" Rosa gasps in shock.