Chapter 7

"You want a sandwich?" JJ looks over at Rosa, who is sitting on the sofa and is wrapping a bandage around her cut

"You want a sandwich?" JJ looks over at Rosa, who is sitting on the sofa and is wrapping a bandage around her cut. She looks up at him and shakes her head in disgust, "Nah... since Big John left, it's been shit to eat around here."

"That bread had mold on it three days ago" Pope walks out of JB's room with a new pair of pants. "I'll just pull off the bad parts" looking first at Rosa and then at Pope, "Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism" he continues to smear his bread and Rosa just raises her eyebrows, "Sure.."

"JJ!" Kie calls him over to the table, where John B is already sitting with the envelope. Rosa sits down next to him on a chair and JJ places a hand on the back of her chair, "Yup, yup, yup! Hot damn! Let's do it!" he bites into his bread, causing crumbs to land on Rosa's shoulder which she immediately wipes away and looks up at him annoyed, "Mmm..." JJ gags and spits the bread into his palm before throwing it away. Pope just looks at Rosa and she raises an eyebrow slightly.

John B opens the envelope and unfolds a map, "Holy shit" Rosa just looks at him confused as she has no idea what this map is supposed to be.

"Oh. X marks the spot" Pope points to the X on the map.

"Longitude, latitude" John B runs his finger down a few lines and the others follow his words while Rosa just looks at the map confused.

"Wait, there's somethin' else in there" JB digs a tape recorder out from under the map and looks at it with his mouth open."What's that?" JJ looks at him confused "It's a tape recorder, dumbass" Rosa grins and JJ looks at her "You didn't even know what that map was..." he hisses.

John B presses the play button and then Big John's voice is heard first "Dear Bird" followed by Camila's voice "and princesa" causing Rosa to gulp and John B slowly takes her hand.

"Who's Bird and princesa?" asks JJ.

"That's what my dad called me and Camila called Rosa..." he looks at the recorder.

"I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either" John B looks at Rosa, who squeezes his hand lightly.

"You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn."

"And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica" Big John is cut off by Camila "Donde tú y tu padre esperáis aprender más español" Rosa grins a bit and JJ looks at her confused "What'd she say?" Rosa just waves him off.

"Livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this
for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If somethin' happens to us, finish what we started" Big John continues.