Chapter 30

Pope gets out of the car and jogs to the ferry, which is across the street, as the four have pulled away from their hiding spot and are now standing between other cars

Pope gets out of the car and jogs to the ferry, which is across the street, as the four have pulled away from their hiding spot and are now standing between other cars. Rosa looks annoyed at her phone, but with all the messages from Sam and her father, her facial expression changes to more of a guilty look. JJ looks at her and then at her phone before putting his arm around her.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kie looks at Pope, who is walking back to the car with a piece of paper.

"So, um... okay, so, bad news" he stops at the car and John B turns his head in his direction "The ferry's closed, and there is this" he hands Kie the paper and Rosa looks up from her phone. Kie looks at the paper and her mouth opens in shock, she hands JJ the note, which he and Rosa now look at.

"What is that? What is this?" asks John B nervously.

"Shit" Rosa mumbles and JJ nods while showing John B the note, "Well, John B, uh...this is a good framer of you." John B looks first at the note and then at JJ before turning his head away.

"Okay, so the whole island's lookin' for John B right now" Pope looks to the others and climbs onto the driver's seat.

"That's a lot of money" Kie says anxiously.

"Congratulations, John B. You're famous" JJ hands John B the note and Rosa looks out the window.

"Guys, we got to get to the HMS. We need small, no running lights..." starts Kie, but JB interrupts her, "It's at the Château, Kie."

"And I wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out" JJ puts his fingers on his forehead, "Let me think. Oh, yeah. No. They definitely have that place locked down."

"Yeah, copy that" Kie says annoyed.

"Let me think. Just give me a second" Pope looks at the steering wheel and his head suddenly shoots up "JJ."

"What?"

Pope turns and looks at JJ, "Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom" John B now also looks hopefully at his friends, "The one he used to race."

"Maybe" is all JJ says.

"You could get right up the coast, no problem" Pope turns around again.

"Okay, look. It won't be easy, Pope" JJ looks at him and then he and Kie start talking over each other.

"The surf's running from three to four."

"I don't know where the keys are."

"Well, find them" is all Pope says.

"I'm thinking" says JJ and Rosa looks at John B who is playing with Rosa's bracelets.

"Why is nobody moving forward?" Pope yells and Kie looks at him, "Can you relax?"