Chapter 6

She runs the few minutes to her home and grabs her car keys from the shelf in the hallway and her mom's journal from her room before heading to school

Thank God, she has a key to the school as a cheerleader. She walks through the dark hallways in the direction of her mother's office, who teaches Spanish at the high school.... She shines her phone flashlight along the various books on one of the shelves and then finally picks up an old dusty book from the shelf. In Camila's diary, she has always mentioned R. M. Fernandéz in addition to O. Redfield Routledge. She flips through a few torn pages until she lands on the appropriate page.

"Rosalía María Fernandéz..1904 - 1956" she reads quietly and wipes across the old page of the family album. Don't ask why her mother has a family album in her office at school. Probably because of people like those two killers from this afternoon.

She dials Kie's number on her cell phone and waits for them to pick up. "How did you get my number?!" she asks, annoyed, and in the background Rosa can hear the boys. "Doesn't matter, put me on speaker" she says and waits for John B to speak, "Where are you?" "School...I know what is meant by Redfield! My mom used to talk about R. Fernandéz and O. Redfield Routledge. Olivia. Wasn't that your grandma or something?" "Great-great-grandma," he corrects her before taking a surprised breath. "How did you find out?!" "Well my grandma told us that your great-great grandma and my great-great grandma used to be best friends and I don't know why but I looked in a family tree..." "Why is there a family tree of your family in your school" interrupts JJ "Fuck off, so I read through the family tree and bam... I feel an epiphany inside me. Your dad means the grave!!!" she laughs excitedly and puts the book back. "Okay we are coming to pick you up. Be outside in five minutes."

She is just closing the office door when she hears a noise at the end of the corridor and immediately turns her head in that direction but she just stares into the black. "O-kay" she says quietly to herself and walks slowly towards the exit until she suddenly hears quick footsteps behind her and turns around. She sees two burley outlines running towards her before she turns around as well and starts running towards the stairs.

The footsteps behind her get faster, just like hers. She races down the stairs and pulls on the front door, but it's locked... the fuckers have a key to the school. Looking up, she sees a confused JJ and John B standing in front of the glass door.

"Well open it already" JJ calls through the glass and Rosa looks at him sourly but turns around as the footsteps get louder. "No... the square groupers!" JJ yanks on the door and John B runs in the left direction, which Rosa mimics and heads for the side exit. As she runs, she looks for the right key  on her keychain. She is so fast that she doesn't manage to break in front of the door and therefore slams into the glass door. "I don't have a key for the door...help me, Johnny!!!" she looks at him fearfully and knocks on the glass.

John B looks around and picks up a thick rock before smashing it against the glass a few times until it finally shatters and Rosa quickly squeezes through the hole. She whimpers a bit as a corner of the glass cuts her leg a bit, but before she can even look at the blood John B grabs her hand and runs with her towards the car.