Chapter 23

On the way to the Wreck, Rosa smokes herself a joint while everyone else is silent and all you can hear is the radio playing

"Look, he'll come around, all right? It's..." John B sits across from Sarah and looks at the others. Rosa is helping herself to a bottle of Hennessy, of which she already had a few sips. Sarah looks at her and snatches the bottle from her hands. Rosa looks at her, offended, and sits down.

"He's doing a JJ thing" John B eyes his best friend worriedly for a moment, but Rosa just smiles as the weed and the bit of alcohol start to take effect.

"You think he'll go home?" Kie then asks quietly, causing Rosa to immediately feel sick. The thought of someone hurting him....

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home" Pope says, looking out the window, causing Rosa to exhale in relief.

John B and Sarah exchange a few glances "You okay?" he eyes her and Sarah just nods with a smile "Yeah" she then says quietly "Are you?"

"I mean, I'm in one piece, so..." he grins at them and Pope then interrupts the two "Okay" he sighs. "It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it" he paces back and forth while Rosa just looks at him. "Bring it all up at once. Put it in...in a safe or a vault or something. I... I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off."

Rosa looks at the floor confused, "too much information at once..."

"I can figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning" Pope just keeps talking and Rosa then just nods in agreement "Fuck yes, let's go."

"Let's go" John B puts an arm around Rosa as she moves over to him.

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah then asks JB and he looks at Rosa for a second, "Shit."

"What thing?" Pope then asks, confused.

"I have to go fishing with Ward" Rosa looks at him "Ugh... that's so boring with him... sorry S but your dad is so fucking boring..." Sarah just looks at her for a second with narrowed eyes.

"You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" asks Kie wryly, and Pope exhales in annoyance.

"Look, I have to go."

"Blow it off" Rosa looks at the ceiling.

"It's 400 million in gold!" adds Pope then and Kie nods, "Make something up!"

Sarah just looks at the three of them.

"Look, I... I have to, okay? He... he saved me, all right? If it weren't for Ward, I'd be in foster care. So... I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night" he just looks at the others as no one says anything, "Right?"

"Fine. Fine, go fishing."

"And at least JJ will probably have washed up by then" Kie says and Rosa rolls her eyes at the thought of JJ.