Chapter 20

"She must have a generator plugged into the main power supply" says Sarah as she shines her flashlight through the bushes, and then the three of them walk up the stairs to the porch, breathing loudly

"Shh..." says Kie, putting her hand on Rosa's back. Sarah shines her light on the small box Kie opens and Rosa gulps, "Where are the breakers?" Kie looks at Rosa for a moment and then looks up, "What is this?"

"No, no, no, no, no, no" Rosa points to the cable leading into the house "Fuck my life.."

"It goes inside" Sarah then clarifies again and Rosa just nods, "Thanks for clarifying.."

Kie opens the first door slowly, which totally squeaks, causing Rosa to furrow her eyebrows. Next, Kie then opens the front door and the three of them walk in as quietly as they can. Rosa shines her light through the house, holding onto Sarah's top a bit as they sneak through the house. Suddenly a cat yowls and runs off, causing Rosa to flinch.

Kie lights up to the wire and points at it, "Hey." Sarah follows her finger and nods, "Yeah. Yeah." The three of them walk a few more steps until Kie grins broadly and they all light up the power box, giggling quietly in relief. Kie flips the switches as quietly as she can, while Sarah lights up the box and Rosa looks around nervously.

Then it goes completely dark outside and the girls all smile broadly at each other until they hear noises from upstairs and all three press their backs against the wall. Then a clock starts to chime. Rosa looks at Sarah and you can tell Rosa is about to have a heart attack. To top it all off, they hear footsteps upstairs and a fire poker hitting the floor.

As the footsteps get closer, you hear a gasp and cough from an old person. The girls just look at each other fearfully as the sound gets closer and closer.

"It's... it's late, Leon" Mrs. Crain then speaks and Rosa holds her hand over her mouth, "Too late" she coughs.

Then she limps along in front of the girls who are pressing more and more against the wall, and Rosa whimpers softly, "I can hear you, Leon."

Sarah takes Rosa's hand to calm her down, but it's too late because with a jerk Mrs. Crain turns to the girls "I've been waiting all night!" she yells, and the girls look into her white eyes until Rosa screams and Sarah pushes her in the direction of the door "Go!"

Rosa runs off followed by Sarah and Kie "Go! Go!" yells Kie.

The three of them part ways and Kie is in the living room while Rosa is in front of a locked basement door and Sarah is in a kitchen. Rosa looks at the door and opens the lock and tries to tear off the wooden boards with all her strength, cutting her palm and whimpering in pain. Mrs. Crain screeches, "Leon!" "Where are you, Leon?"

Rosa wipes the blood on her bare leg and continues to jerk the boards, "Come on..."

Then Mrs. Crain limps into the room towards Rosa. Rosa looks at her with wide eyes and gasps, "Oh!" Mrs. Crain lunges and slams the fire poker into the wall right next to Rosa's head. Rosa screams and keeps dodging while the blood on her hand drips onto her legs.