Episode 47 - Reverse Checkmate

A while ago, Halbert, who jumped from Ruby in pursuit of Fuuga, opened his parachute, which he was carrying on his back. And what Halbert, who was watching the ground as he slowed down his speed, saw was Fuuga gliding towards the royal army headquarters.

(Souma!? Hasn't he evacuated!?)

Although Fuuga should have been visibly approaching, there seemed to be no signs of panic at the headquarters. Then Fuuga, who had been sliding diagonally, suddenly fell to the ground. Souma must have activated that [Magic Sealing Machine]. Although it didn't affect Halbert, who was descending with his parachute, still, he felt strange because he couldn't use magic.

Fuuga fell to the ground, Halbert was staring at him, but he immediately stood up and ran to where Souma was. Even though he must have taken some damage from the fall, he cleared out the guards that got in his way and strode closer to Souma.

(Dammit! Can't I descend faster!?)

Halbert was impatient, but he couldn't change the rate of descent of his parachute. In the midst of all that, he saw Fuuga finally reach Souma. Fuuga's Iwagatana sword swung at Souma. In the next moment.

"Souma!?"

He thought he had cut his head off but he soon realized what was actually cut was Souma's sword, which he used to try and defend himself with, and was cut in two, and he could see Souma kneeling as he bled. He looked like he was barely conscious, but that was also a danger sign.

"Dammit! I won't let you do it!"

Although he was still quite high above ground level, if he did nothing, Souma would be cut down. To Halbert, Souma was not just a lord to risk his life for out of mere loyalty, but he had been his friend for a long time.

(I won't let you kill my friend!)

Halbert severed the parachute he was carrying and fell headfirst to the ground. And he couldn't use magic because the magic sealing machine was activated. As he fell, Halbert regained his composure and put his strength into the spear that he held in his right hand and.......

"Daryaaaaaaa!!"

"!?"

Shinnnggggggg!

As he fell to the ground, he cut off Fuuga's wing with the tip of his spear, when the latter was raising his sword, Iwagatana, to finish off Souma. Halbert rolled on the ground as he looked at Fuuga, who had fallen to his knees and was bleeding from his back. Halbert tried to avoid as much damage as possible from the fall by rolling, but, the pain still shot through Halbert's entire body.

But that didn't mean he could rest now. He quickly stood up and pushed his aching body toward where Fuuga was. Fuuga still did not understand what had happened and had his defenseless back exposed to Halbert.

"Foooooo!"

When Halbert aimed the tip of his spear at Fuuga to finish him off.

"Ludwin! Get him!"

Souma yelled. Then Ludwin, who came running, stepped between Halbert and Fuuga, blocked Halbert's spear with his sword, and pinned Fuuga to the ground with his shield. And Ludwin told Halbert, who was amazed.

"Awesome. You beat Fuuga. But so far, it's fine"

"Huh!? But"

"There is no need to be burdened with the task of killing a hero. No one in this country needs to do it."

"......."

Halbert lowered his spear. Ludwin nodded and told him to help him hold Fuuga down. Fuuga was sitting cross-legged on the ground as if he had given in to pain, having one of his wings clipped, and exhaustion from the fierce battle he had gone through. When Fuuga was immobilized in such a way that Ludwin and Halbert could point their swords at him.