Episode 21 - The Kingdom's Illusory Front

The main force of the Fuuga army crossed the border into the Kingdom of Friedonia and finally began the invasion. Fuuga and Hashim believed that there was some plot on the part of the Kingdom of Friedonia, and believed that if they waited, they would eventually be ready for it and they would be defeated. Therefore, what was required was a quick decision by means of a blitzkrieg, and it was necessary to quickly approach the royal capital, Parnam, in order to defeat, capture, or make Souma surrender.

Therefore, it was decided that the towns, villages, cities, etc., that were in the way would be left if they obeyed, but if they were hostile, they would be completely overrun and destroyed. As Souma and others knew, they evacuated people from towns and villages, left cities that could not be protected early, and concentrated their forces in cities that were strategic.

In the main force of the Fuuga army, marching with the main body were Fuuga, Hashim, and Mutsumi, listening to the reports of the vanguard lineup that had been sent out for reconnaissance.

"Report. There are no signs of people in the towns or villages along the way. There are no hidden soldiers, no traps, etc. It seems that they have already been abandoned."

"...Well, that's Souma for you. Knowing that we were going to attack, he let his people escape."

Fuuga said with her arms crossed. I thought that when I entered the Kingdom of Friedonia, a formidable opposition would attack me and there would be no brittle resistance until I deepened and concentrated my strength, but this would be the last. It wasn't fun for Fuuga, and it was a complicated way to fight them. That is why the Kingdom camp adopted this strategy.

The explorer continued talking.

"However, there are still some supplies, such as food and water, in the village. I asked them to check it, but it seems unlikely that they are contaminated with poison."

"People are evacuating, but leaving food?"

Mutsumi made a suspicious face. There's no reason to leave food in abandoned towns or cities if you think about it generally. It just makes it easier to replenish Fuuga's army where he was. Of course, they were wary of traps, or that they were laced with poison, but he says they hadn't even done that.

"What are we going to do? Aniue." (older brother)

Mutsumi questioned Hashim for advice, per the staff member's report. Hashim seemed to be coming up with an answer to her question, or rather, he seemed deep in thought deep.

"He's facilitated our supplies... you said."

"He's helping us, his enemy? Why?"

"Souma doesn't want us to stop or go somewhere else."

Hashim declared.

"We were planning to use a Chevauchée tactic making use of Malmkhitan's mobility, which is his specialty. However, they would move quickly and attack the enemy, capturing the cities that blocked them and, at the same time, stealing local supplies and replenishing ours. We were thinking of keeping it mobile that way, but if we could get hold of these supplies, we could save ourselves the trouble of looking for the same supplies."

"I see. They are guiding us to take the shortest route to Parnam."

Hearing Hashim's story, Fuuga complained. An army, which has run out of supplies, would try to stockpile supplies and they would act arbitrarily. Military rules would be altered and troops would have to be sent to loot in a direction other than the shortest route. If that happened, the damage would spread to the kingdom side as well, so it probably wasn't what they wanted. That's why he dared to put provisions on his way.