Episode 32 - The Eve of the Final Battle

Fuuga Khan was the favorite of this era. Like the time of Napoleon, it was given a special designation known as the "Napoleonic era", this era would be known in the future, for the next generations as the " Fuuga Khanic era (Fuuga Khan era) ", in which the ambitions of a single hero rocked the entire continent.

It has been mentioned several times that in order to defeat Fuuga, the protégé of this age, one must change the age itself. Liu Bang was defeated by Houfu (項羽) many times, but he regrouped many times until he was finally able to win by turning the situation around. Nobunaga, was one step away from breaking the line of national unification (of Japan), despite losing or drawing 30% of the battles in his life. France, during the Hundred Years War, produced a succession of heroes during its national crisis, such as the monstrous General Guesclin, Sainte Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc), and Marshal Richemont.

Until the age decides that the hero is obsolete, the hero will rise again and again, as if he were immortal. This is because the people who support the heroes demand that they keep fighting, affirming the deeds of the heroes, no matter how brutal and cruel their actions.

That is why a simple victory over Fuuga would not be enough to put out his fire. Even if Fuuga suffered a painful defeat and withdrew, those who support Fuuga would demand vengeance. Fuuga, supported and pushed by those voices, would provoke another great war that would involve the whole world. This would remain true even if Fuuga was killed in this battle.

No, in fact, that would be worse. If Fuuga was killed and only the people attracted by his ambitions were left behind, how would these people react? First of all, they might have a grudge against me and this country that killed their hero, and to avenge it, they might revolt, resort to terrorism, or some form of guerrilla war. Also, there is no way they can hold that vast territory without Fuuga, and hopefully, it would split up and become a group of rival states. If that happens, the devastation of the northern half of the continent would be inevitable.

The situation could lead to a flood of refugees from the north, and there was a risk of times returning to the days of the expansion of the Demon King's territory. The only way to avoid that would be to intervene in the north, but as I mentioned earlier, even if a Maritime Alliance intervenes, which they resent, they would be pushed back and it would take a long time to defuse the situation.

For these reasons, we have prepared a plan to end this era of supporting Fuuga in this battle, rather than Fuuga itself. And that night, Maou reported that the preparations for that final push had been completed.

"All tasks have been completed. Master Souma"

I was listening to Maou's words in the government office together with Liscia.

"I see... you've managed to make it in time."

I muttered half relieved and half regretful. I'm really thankful that 'it' was ready before the direct confrontation against Fuuga. However, Owen and Herman, and the other volunteer soldiers gave their lives to buy time. If it could have been completed two days earlier,...they wouldn't have had to die.

The faces of the two old men came to mind. When I remember their faces, anger, and hatred for Fuuga wells up. And I feel like venting my resentment on him... if he hadn't provoked such a war for his dreams and ambitions. Although earlier I was thinking about the disadvantages of killing Fuuga in this battle. Even if I understand it logically, my emotions refuse to accept it.

"...Souma" 

"What!?"

I came back to reality when Liscia was standing next to me while touched my shoulder. When I turned around, Liscia was cracking a small smile.