Episode 22 - When Justice Smiles at Evil

--- Secondly.

Just like Gaten, Kasen, [Tiger's Ballista], who was leading a part of his squad and went out to do a reconnaissance, was also in the middle of an illusion. Although they were up a slightly steep mountain road, the scouting troops knowing that there was a road that could be traversed by their leaping cavalry and riding on their Thamesbocks, discovered an enemy fort. The trees grew sparsely, at the end of the mountain path that left the rocky surface bare. Forts and castles are often built near traffic hubs, so it was unthinkable to build a fort on a rough road that even the locals would not pass through.

In addition, it would be difficult to resupply on such a rugged mountain road, and it would not be easy to get water. In short, the Kingdom of Friedonia had built a fort in a place that was clearly difficult to protect in order to protect a path that no one can pass through. Kasen, who received the report, thought it was too strange and went out to do a reconnaissance.

And when he went to the site, the fort certainly existed. A masonry wall stood on a lonely mountain where no vegetation grew. The stones were piled up and weathered like the ruins of a destroyed ancient civilization, but the flag of the Kingdom of Friedonia, which seemed to have been raised recently, fluttered on the wall.

(Is the kingdom really in this place!?)

It was useless to protect it if the enemy does not pass through there, and with such a lonely fort, being used to protect, it would fall shortly after being surrounded by a thousand soldiers. It seemed like a waste of soldiers and resources.

(Or was the goal just to raise the flag and get us confused? Should we get a little closer and check the situation...)

Kasen tried to advance his troops... but at that moment.

Don............dodogarn!!

I thought there was an explosion sound coming from the fort, and the next moment there was a huge roar, a huge column of fire and black smoke rose between Kasen and the fort. Kasen and his minions couldn't comprehend the sudden flashes and explosions for a moment, but they soon realized they were being bombarded.

Don............Dodogarn!!Don............Dodogarn!!

And yet, the bombardment was carried out one after another before Kasen and the others could take action. The columns of fire and black smoke, which were still a bit far away, inched closer to Kasen and the others as if correcting their trajectories.

(A gunpowder weapon in a fort means nothing like this!? Is the Kingdom Army sane!?)

So far, the Fuuga army had not received any resistance from the Kingdom army. The cities and towns in the route of the march had been empty, had been evacuated, or had quickly surrendered. There were some places in those cities and towns that were easy to protect or were thought to be useful, but they didn't protect them but rather solidified the protection of such a remote fort. He couldn't figure it out with his common sense.

"Wooooohhh!!"

Then, the voice of the soldiers' war cries were heard from the fort. It seemed that there were a certain number of troops in there.

(It's suspicious... Is it really a good idea to go deeper here?)

Kasen, in the end, decided that it was not a good idea to reduce his forces in a place that didn't seem to make sense, so he immediately withdrew and asked Hashim for instructions. After receiving the report, Hashim decided that it was probably a deception operation due to the lack of strategic sense of defending that fort, and decided that it was a waste of time to solve all the opponent's tricks one by one. They abandoned the use of that road and only posted guards at the entrance to the road that led to the fort.