Always Be The One

Airis held onto Aphmau's hand as she, Aaron and Aphmau walked down the stairs to plan out their day. It was easy to see Airis' excitement, for the day while Airis had been wanting to spend even more time with her parents to make up for the past year. And now she can have her chance without holding back any of her features or werewolf traits. She didn't even have to tiptoe too much about her Ultima bloodline.

These days made her feel even more free than she had felt in such a long time.

"So, what do you want to do?" Aphmau asked.

"Oh, anything that you want to do." Aaron answered.

"Okay, well, then I want to do whatever you want to do."

"But I just said--"

"Mama! Papa!" Airis said, "Can we go play now?"

The two looked down at their daughter and smiled at how calm she was about this situation.

"Don't worry, Airis, we can play as much as you want." Aaron said, "But right now, things are still a little awkward between me and your mom."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." Airis apologized.

"No, no, no, there's no reason for you to apologize, Airis." Aphmau said, "We just need a little more time to adjust to ourselves being together again. I mean, I didn't think I'd get shy around Aaron again so suddenly! I've known him for years and here I am blushing redder than a boiling potato!"

"I was thinking the same thing." Aaron said just as red as Aphmau was, "So I don't--"

"Maybe it's because you guys spent so much time apart." A voice said from the ceiling. The three shouted in shock and looked up to see Melissa sitting on one of the beams above their heads.

Melissa smiled and jumped down in front of the little family.

"Think about it. You guys spent so much time apart. You haven't seen each other in an entire year. Of course things aren't going to go back to normal right away. On top of that, it's kinda like you're meeting him for the first time."

"Huh?" Aphmau questioned.

"He's embracing a side of him that he hasn't seen before, and you're both meeting that part for the first time. So of course everything is going to be rather... interesting. Not to mention Airis, too?"

"What are you talking about, Melissa? Airis isn't being as affected by this as the two of us are." Aaron said.

"Airis is showing off her tail and ears, and with that, her bloodline as the Ultima."

"It's true, Papa." Airis agreed, "I didn't want for anyone to know that I was a werewolf, much less the Ultima at that. I'm embracing a few things about myself that I had to push down just to keep everyone safe from my curse. We're learning a few things about ourselves together. We just need to take it one step at a time, right?"

Aaron smiled at his daughter and picked her up in his arms, nuzzling his cheek against hers.

"You're right, Airis." He chuckled along with Airis.

Just then, Melissa got a strange glint in her eyes, "So.... has anything... different happen between you and Aphmau, Aaron?"

"I think we're fine." Aphmau said, "Aside from Aaron lic--"

"Mama!/Aph!" Airis and Aaron shouted trying to stop her. The three panicked but Melissa just laughed it off like she didn't hear anything of the sort.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to ask about that. Especially not in front of innocent Airis here... yet." Melissa giggled, "Sorry, sorry, I know I shouldn't meddle, but I couldn't help but overhear how cute you three were being. An adorable little family of humans and werewolves! Ah! It's a truly beautiful sight to behold!"