𝟓𝟒 | 𝑨𝑺 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑳𝑫 𝑪𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑺 𝑰𝑵

𝗠𝗬 𝗙𝗘𝗘𝗧 𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗬 𝗠𝗘 𝗔𝗦 𝗙𝗔𝗦𝗧 𝗔𝗦 𝗜 𝗖𝗔𝗡 𝗔𝗖𝗥𝗢𝗦𝗦 the corridor of the castle, the doors to the court yard wide open in front of me. Blue flashes every few seconds before a blinding light. Thought, the light only lasts a second and the barrier around the school visibly begins to crumble. My heart drops slightly as I defend the stairs, stopping beside McGonagall who seems surprised by my appearance.

"Miss Kane. I thought you were in the dungeons?" She asks but I scoff and shake my head.

"Sorry professor, but I'm not going to sit idly by while the rest of you fight, know full well my father is on the battlefield. He's my responsibility, and mine alone."

And then all hell breaks loose. I'm not given a second's rest before I'm thrown on the battle field. Wands waving, death eaters flying, creatures of all sorts fighting tooth and nail to win. Every now and again, I come face to face with a death eater, most of them recognising me from my father, but I always stun them.

And then I see him. My father, maybe ten yards away, and everything around me fades away. When he spots me, his face contorted, equal parts hatred and happiness.

"Have you finally come to your senses, Lenora?" He calls out angrily, his voice booming in the night sky. "Or will you continue to defy me, blinded by ignorance."

I scoff, wand at the ready incase he decides to make a move. "I'm not blinded by anything; it's you who's blind, you just can't see that I don't want to be like you. Slaving my life away to Voldemort? No thanks. I'd rather live a life of dangerous freedom than peaceful slavery."

"Is that so? Does this so called freedom excuse the murder of your mother? At your hand?"

"I was defending myself!" I shout, feeling anger begin to boil inside me. How dare he speak to me like I'm the bad guy? I'm the victim of his insanity and crave for power! All he's ever wanted was for me to take over the "family business" after him. "She was going to kill me, so what I did was in self defense! Not that you'd care anyway. All you care about is power. Power and pain. I'm not going to stand behind a murderer! You're a monster!"

The man's face darkens at my words as he takes threatening steps toward me. "How dare you speak to me in such a manner? I am your father, and I deserve respect!"

I flinch slightly at the volume of his voice, shaking my head. "The man standing before me, he's not my father. My father was a brave man, but you? You're just a coward wearing his face!"

I don't hesitate for a second to raise my wand at him when he raises him. And in that split second, the whole world slows to a stop. There's no noise, no dead bodies, no magic, just Oscar Kane and I.

"Avada Kedavra!" I'm quicker than him. I've always been quicker than him. I watch as Oscar Kane's body goes flying across the field, body falling limp on the rubble below. Oscar Kane, a once great wizard and loyal follower to Lord Voldemort, is dead. And the one to kill him? His own flesh and blood. I, Lenora Sylvania Kane, am personally responsible for the end of Isla and Oscar Kane. And I don't regret it. In fact, I'm happy they're gone.

"Lenora?" Draco.

I look over my shoulder to find Draco walking toward me. I'm a bit surprised to see the fight is already over. Bodies litter the surrounding area, both death eaters and classmates alike. My body relaxes as I immediately run to him, meeting him halfway and pulling him into a passionate kiss. Our lips move in sync as Draco's hands find themselves in my waist.

The kiss only lasts a few seconds before I pull away and throw my hands around his neck for a hug. He snakes his arms around my waist, pulling me closer. "I'm so glad you're okay, Draco. I don't know what I would have done if you weren't."

"I told you I'd never leave you again, didn't I?" He whispers, pressing a soft kiss to my temple. I shudder as Draco freezes, his focus is concentrating on something else. He must see Oscar's body.

Swallowing hard, I let go of the blond boy and turn to look at my the lifeless body of my father only a few yards away. "I had to, Draco. I had no other choice."

"I know," he whispers. Of course he knows. It was either me or my father, and I don't think my father was going to do much good for this world.

"You have fought valiantly..." The ringing in my ears grows louder as I cover them with my hands in hopes to block out the sinister voice. Voldemort take taken so much from us already and this fight isn't over. "But in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you... rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonor. Join me in the forbidden forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man, woman, and child who tries to conceal you from me."

"Let's head inside, yeah? See if the others are alright."

I nod before the two of us begin making our way toward the castle, our hands intertwined. The walk is short and the second we enter the castle, I scan the area in search of my friends. And then I see them, Blaise and Theo, all beaten and battered, making my body relax slightly.

"Thank God," I mutter aloud as I drag Draco toward them. "Hey, guys. I'm glad you're both..."

Something's wrong. Definitely wrong. Blaise is sitting on the bench with his head in his hands and Theo, oh, Theo. I don't think I've ever seen him cry before. Blaise seems to be the only one to acknowledge me because he lift his head, the color draining from his face as he instantly rises to his feet. His eyes are bloodshot and rimmed red, making my heart sink.

"Lenora..." He tries to stop me, but it's too late. It's too late because I see her. Her chocolate brown hair sprawled over the cement, her body battered and bruised, skin pale and sickly, her eyes glazed over and gray. And the gaping wound in her stomach, blood seeping from it onto her shirt; her favorite shirt. The one shirt she religiously wore because the color reminded her of all of us.

"No..." My world crashes to the ground as every last ounce of energy is drained from my body. I stumble forward, collapsing beside her body. "P-please, wake up. Please. Eleanor, please! Come on! Move, do something, anything!"

The tears flow and flow as sobs wrack my body so violently. Of all the people I could have lost, why did it have to be my best friend? Why Eleanor? She had so much to live for. So much love and light she could have brought to this world. And now, all that light has been snuffed out with a single battle. For all I know, she died cold and alone with no one she cares about by her side.

"You lied to me," I sob, grabbing hold of her still warm hand. "You said you'd meet me on the other side, El. Why'd you lie to me?"

A pair of hand gently grab my shoulder and I don't hesitate to turn into the person, throwing my arms around them. I already know it's Draco. Of course it's Draco, he'll always be here for me, even when I don't ask for him to be. And I sob. It's all I can do because my best friend is dead.

-