𝟒𝟑 | 𝑺𝑴𝑬𝑳𝑳𝑺 𝑳𝑰𝑲𝑬 𝑳𝑶𝑽𝑬

"𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗕𝗘𝗦𝗧 𝗢𝗙 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗧𝗢 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗔𝗟𝗟. 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn." Dumbledore turns to the long table behind him as another elderly man stands, all the students clapping. I swallow hard as the man continues. "Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

"It only took about, what, fifteen years?" Eleanor questions.

"Something like that."

"Now as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle." Whispers erupt through the hall. Though, the only table that doesn't have whispers is the Slytherin table because, of course, Voldemort was a Slytherin too when he was at Hogwarts. It's quite common knowledge among the death eater families at least. "Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you."

My heart skips a beat when Dumbledore looks at the Slytherin table, and for a moment, it almost looks like he's looking at Draco and I. Ever since Lucius Malfoy was arrested, word that my father is a death eater has been spiraling throughout the world. Because Lucius took my father down with him when he was taken to Azkaban. Oscar Kane, Voldemort's faithful servant, and his daughter, Lenora Kane, a student at Hogwarts. I knew word was going to get out eventually, but I was just trying to stop it for as long as possible.

"Just something to think about," Dumbledore finishes before dismissing us to the dormitories. I swallow hard, my throat throbbing at the force as I push myself into a standing position, leaving my untouched plate of food on the table.

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning," Slughorn explains. Quite frankly, I've only been listening to half of his lecture. Thankfully, it's cut short when Potter and Weasley enter the room, causing Slughorn to turn around and greet them. "Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead all for potions, a menace, actually. So, I'm probably just--" I roll my eyes as the boy attempts to step out of the room, Potter stopping him short.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

Potter steps forward. "Sorry, sir, but I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron."

"Don't you worry, why don't you get one from the cupboard." Slughorn finally turns back to us before pointing to a few boiling cauldrons on the table in front of us. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?"

Immediately, both Granger and I raise our hands, making the girl turn to me with a bit of a shocked expression. I may not be as smart as her, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid in any way; Potions is my best subject, after Defense Against the Dark Arts. And much to Granger's dismay, Slughorn chooses me. "Yes, Miss...?"

"Kane, sir." Slughorn's face falls at the mention of my name, but I ignore his look. He clearly knows who I am, just like everyone else. I step forward, looking at the first cauldron and the contents inside before answering. "This one is Verutaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that one there is a polyjuice potions. The last one is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them."