𝟏𝟔 | 𝑯𝑰𝑷𝑷𝑶𝑮𝑹𝑰𝑭𝑭

"𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗞𝗡𝗢𝗪, 𝗜'𝗠 𝗔𝗖𝗧𝗨𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗘𝗫𝗖𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗗
for this class," I beam quietly to Eleanor who just smiles and shakes her head. As we take the steps down to Hagrid's hut I trip, almost falling into Blaise. It's weird seeing the dark-skinned boy so tall now. He used to be on the shorter side, but he's grown at least three inches since the beginning of summer. Bad his facial features have slimmed out as well. He catches me with a laugh and my face heats up a little. "Sorry. I missed a step."

Once I steady myself, we continue on our way, stopping in a small crowd of students all gathered around Hagrid. "That's it, come on now! Come closer! Less talking, if you don't mind. Now, I got a real treat for you today; a great lesson. Follow me."

Hagrid's excitement travels to me and I feel even giddier than earlier; magical creatures have always been amazing to me. This is one of the classes I've been waiting to take since I came to Hogwarts. The large man leads us into the forest, stopping us just past a short, rocky barrier. I carefully step over it, not wanting to trip again as Hagrid tells the lot of us to gather around. He tells us to open our books to page 49, making my brows furrow. I look down at the big book in my hand, the one that almost looks like a spider. "Um... How exactly are we supposed to do that?"

"Just stroke the spine, of course," the older man explains with a shake of his head. I chew at my lower lip and bring two fingers to the spine of my book before slowly stroking it top to bottom. Nothing happens, but since Hagrid technically knows what he's doing, I don't question it.

The Longbottom kid gets attacked by his book as I pass by, and I just roll my eyes and sigh. Eleanor, Blaise, Theo, and I stand in the back with Malfoy and his group when I hear Granger say, "I think they're funny."

"Oh, yeah. Terribly funny," Malfoy pipes up in a sarcastic tone. "Really witty. God, this place has gone to the dogs. Wait until my father hears that Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes."

I watch with a quirked brow as Potter steps forward, his jaw tightening. "Shut up, Malfoy."

"Oh, better watch out, Malfoy," Theo teases, making the lot of us laugh to ourselves quietly. I watch curiously as the blond boy gives Crabbe his bag and takes a threatening step toward Potter.

After a moment of silence, Malfoy looks into the sky, frightened before he points and mockingly says, "Dementor, dementor!"

A bunch of students, including Potter and his friends spin around, only to find nothing there. I laugh, and the sound of Malfoy's laugh makes my chest tingle but I ignore it as all of us pull our hoods over our heads. We make a spooky sound, wiggling our fingers at Potter. Granger steps forward and gives us all a dirty look as she pulls the boy away.

"Don't let your guard down, Potter," I call out with a smirk. "You never know when the dementors will come for you."

Hagrid suddenly clears his throat, appearing out of nowhere. He holds his arms out to show us something, but over the crowd of people, I can't see it. I sigh and push through the crowd to the front, my eyes widening in awe at the magnificent creature before me. It's body is half and half of two animals; an eagle in the front and a horse in the back. It's feathers are different shades of light blue, black, gray, and white. As Hagrid throws what looks like a dead ferret at it, it catches it in its beak effortlessly.

"Isn't he beautiful? Say hello to Buckbeak."

Buckbeak... I want to pet him. I hear Weasley speak to my left. "Hagrid, exactly what is that?"

"That, Ron, is a Hippogriff. First thing you wanna know about Hippogriff's is that they are very proud creatures. Very easily offended. You do not want to insult a Hippogriff. It may just be the last thing you ever do... Now, who'd like to come and say hello?"