𝟑𝟑 | 𝑼𝑴𝑩𝑹𝑰𝑫𝑮𝑬

"𝗚𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗟𝗗𝗥𝗘𝗡." 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗙𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗢𝗥
Dumbledore's voice rings throughout the Great Hall as always, grabbing everyone's attention. I turn away from my meal and look at the man. He still looks the same as the day I met him; it's crazy how he doesn't seem to age, really. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank... who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

An elderly man stands with a light smile before sitting back down. "We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge." I immediately feel the urge to gag when my eyes meet the new DADA teacher. Decked head to toe in pink, it looks like she was puked on by a bloody fairy. I don't even try to hide the disgusted look on my face as I stare at the woman in disbelief; is that much color even allowed here? And the fact that she thinks she looks good enough to go out in public is beyond me. I wouldn't be caught dead in that much pink. "And I'm sure you'll all join us in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you--."

A light cough emits from our new Dark Arts teacher, causing Dumbledore to stop mid-sentence and slowly turn to her. The woman slowly rises to her feet with an uncomfortably large smile and makes her way around the table.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome... And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

"Not if she keeps wearing that much pink," Eleanor snorts quietly, a couple of the other Slytherin kids snickering at her comment. I have to hold back a laugh as Umbridge sends a glare to not only Eleanor, but to someone at the Gryffindork table; most likely the Weasley twins. They seem to always be getting into trouble and they're the most likely candidates for speaking out of turn.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

The woman giggles in the most disturbing and sinister way as she turns and begins making her way back to her seat beside Snape, who looks like he's going to pass out at the meer sight of the woman in pink. I roll my eyes in annoyance as Dumbledore begins to clap, and knowing the rest of us must follow, I raise my hands and clap limply.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge," Dumbledore applauds. "That really was most illuminating. Now, as I was saying, Mr. Filch wanted to remind you that magic is forbidden in the corridors."

I kind of zone out during the rest of the Headmaster's speech. I only realize he's finished when everyone goes back to eating once again. Though having lost my appetite from whatever nonsense Umbridge was spewing, I still force myself to eat a little bit of what's on my plate. The way she was looking at all of us, like she's better than us, like a predator looks at its prey, is unsettling. My stomach churns at the thought of what the Ministry could possibly want with Hogwarts. From the things I've heard from one of Eleanor's cousins, who works in the ministry, they don't believe Voldemort is back either. And because they're denying the truth, it's putting a riff between witches and wizards all over the country. I know my friends don't believe he's back either, apart from Theo maybe because his father's a death eater as well. Theo doesn't keep in touch with his father, considering what happened when he was little. He lives with his aunt and uncle, and they don't have many opinions on Voldemort and his followers.