𝟎𝟕 | 𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑷𝒀 𝑩𝑰𝑹𝑻𝑯𝑫𝑨𝒀

𝗜 𝗣𝗜𝗖𝗞 𝗔𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗙𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗪𝗜𝗧𝗛 𝗠𝗬 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗞, 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 feeling all that hungry. I thought they would send me something by now, but they haven't. It's been almost two weeks since we got back from Christmas break and today is my birthday; January 21st. I would at least like a letter, but I haven't gotten a single thing.

"Lenora, why do you look so down?" Theo asks from my right. I hadn't wanted to make my sadness obvious, but it looks like my friends noticed.

"What do you mean?" I mutter, glancing up at him through my eyelashes.

"You've been like this all day. There's obviously something wrong."

I'm silent for a moment, debating whether or not I should tell them. My birthday's almost over anyway, so what's the big deal? I guess it won't hurt if I tell them, will it? I clear my throat and gently set my fork on my plate. "Today is my birthday."

"What!" Eleanor hisses, receiving a look from Gemma. She sends an apologetic look to our upperclassman before whipping her head back to me and saying, "It's your birthday and you didn't think to tell us?"

I shrug. "Well, I didn't really think it was a big deal. It's just that-- I haven't received anything from my parents; a gift, a letter, nothing."

"What a couple of wankers," Eleanor scoffs in disbelief. "How could parents forget their own daughter's birthday?"

"Don't call them wankers, Eleanor. They're still my parents."

The girl looks at me, her eyebrows high on her forehead. "Still. That's just awful."

I sigh and decide to take a bite of my food, having to practically force it down. "I can understand my dad because I hardly see him anymore, but my mom? It's just odd that she hasn't at least sent me a letter."

"Well, I suppose--" All of a sudden, the sound of an owl hooting fills my ears. I look up to see my owl flying overhead before swooping low and dropping a small emerald green box in my hand. My brows furrow as I look at each one of my friends, silently asking if they bought me something; but they all shake their heads. "Don't look at us. We've only just found out."

I look back at the box in my hand, pulling the ribbon off and opening it to find a small note inside.

If you tell anyone I was the one that gave you this, you'll regret it. Happy birthday, Kane.

I let out a small gasp when I see a beautiful green serpent dangling from a silver chain, it's eyes made from tiny green gems. My friends question what it is that I got and when I show it to them, they're enamored. I put it around my wrist, looking at the serpent one last time before looking over at Malfoy. His head is turned away from me, talking to Crabbe and Goyle. He must feel my eyes on him because he looks at me for a moment and I mutter a quick thank you. The boy only sends a small nod my way before turning back to his friends

"I wonder who got it for you," Eleanor mutters, taking the note and looking it over. "It doesn't say."

"That's a bit odd, don't you think?" Blaise asks, an eyebrow quirked.

"Not really. Must be from my parents." I shake my head. I know it's not from my mom or my dad because neither of them call me by my last name. The only person who does that is Draco Malfoy.

We finish with dinner and before I know it, I'm in the middle of Potions, taking an exam. Snape doesn't take too kindly to cheating, so I do my best to not even look away from my exam. It's making my neck hurt a bit, but I don't want to be accused of cheating when I didn't. The exam is easy, as long as you pay attention, the answers are all there. Once the hour is done, we head to our next class.

As Blaise and I are walking to class together, I happen to see Draco Malfoy walking with Crabbe and Goyle in our direction. I heard that last night he got sent to detention with Potter, Weasley, and Granger. Apparently, he found them out of the castle after cerfew, but because he was also out, he got put in detention as well.

"How was the dark forest, Malfoy?" I call out with a smirk dancing on my lips, making the boy look up at me. "Were you scared?"

The boy sends me a glare and hisses, "Bugger off, Kane."

"So you were scared."

Malfoy looks offended now as he stops in his tracks and shouts. "I was not!"

"From what I heard, you ran away screaming." Blaise and I laugh as the boy scoffs, turning on his heel and walking away. Blaise holds up his hand for me to high-five, and I give him one before we continue heading to class.

The last feast before we're sent home for the summer. The feast that announces who wins the house cup. By the time everyone has gathered in the Great Hall, green banners with the Slytherin crest are hanging from the ceiling. My friends and I smile at each other as we converse.

However, a few minutes later, Professor McGonagall taps her chalice, quieting everyone. When I turn my head to look at Dumbledore who's standing now, my cap alomst falls off my head. I catch it and adjust it as the headmaster speaks. "Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus. In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points. Third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points. In second place, Ravenclaw with 426 points. And in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin House."

I whoop with my friends, hugging and high-fiving them.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. And I have a few last minute points to award. To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intelect while others were in grave peril; 50 points. Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of Wizard's Chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years; 50 points. And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor 60 points. And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom. Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order."

Dumbledore proceeds to clap his hands and announces that Gryffindork wins the house cup as the banners change to red and gold.

"Well, that sucks," I mutter, leaning forward to rest my arms on the table. "We won and lost in less than five minutes."

"Stupid Gryffindor," Theo mutters with a slight roll of his eyes.

"Don't give up just yet, you guys," Eleanor hisses. "We've still got six years to win the house cup."

I sigh, but don't argue. She is right, after all. We only just finished our first year at Hogwarts, so we still have six more years. I'm sure that we'll win it at least once while we're still in school... Right?

After the announcements, we finish our meals and head back to the dormitories to pack out things. I finish and Eleanor and I close the door behind us just as Theo and Blaise leave their dormitory. We chat and make our way to the train, saying goodbye to the teachers that are standing on the platform. The four of us find an empty train car and crowd inside.

My first year at Hogwarts is finished. This year was amazing, more amazing that I could have ever hoped. The friends I've made, I hope last a lifetime. Because I know that we're in for a treat these next couple years.

-