𝟏𝟓 | 𝑻𝑹𝑨𝑰𝑵 𝑹𝑰𝑫𝑬 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑬𝑹𝑹𝑶𝑹

𝗜 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗛 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗟𝗬 𝗔𝗦 𝗜 𝗠𝗔𝗞𝗘 𝗠𝗬 𝗪𝗔𝗬
through the train as it chugs along to Hogwarts for my third year. The Slytherin house is a very solitary house so we've always had our own train car, thank Merlin. It keeps us all happy and away from the rest of the students in the other houses. And honestly, I enjoy the quietness of it.

I push past someone, giving them a dirty look when they scoff at me before making my way into the Slytherin car, seeing my friends in an instant talking amongst themselves. They're also with Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy Parkinson. I resist the urge to vomit when I see Pansy practically clinging to Malfoy's arm. And he looks rather uncomfortable to me. I make my way to them, being greeted here and there by some of my fellow Slytherins.

"Mind if I join you?" I question when I come up behind Eleanor and Blaise, who both turn to me with smiles. I make eye contact with Malfoy and he gives me a small nod, which I return. I can see Pansy's expression immediately sour and when I turn to her, she's glaring at me. It makes me want to laugh. I don't know what she's thinking, but I'm not going to steal Malfoy from her, we're only friends.

On my right is Theo, who's making conversation with Crabbe and Goyle. His dark hair falls over his forehead as he smiles at me. I do have to admit, both Theo and Blaise have grown quite a bit since I saw them last.

"Lenora," Eleanor gapes before standing in her seat and pulling me into a hug. "Sit. How was your summer?"

As I take a seat beside Theo, I smile at the girl and speak with a small shrug. "It was alright. No trace of my father again, but what's new?"

"I'm sorry." I wave the girl's apology away. I'm used to my dad not being around, so I don't need pity from anyone, especially my friends. "Anyway, as I was saying, my brother is going to be travelling to Japan for his studies this year; I don't know how long he'll be there but he promised to bring me back a souvenir."

"That's really cool, El," Blaise says with a smile. "I've always wanted to travel to Japan."

A few minutes pass by and Eleanor and Blaise are still talking. I fiddle with my fingers, occasionally butting in with a comment here and there. However, Pansy suddenly gets up and walks out of the train car, muttering something about having to use the restroom. And as soon as she leaves, I can see Malfoy visibly relax, his eyes closing in relief. I stay silent, debating whether or not to rescue the boy from her grasp. And after a moment of fighting with myself, I decide Malfoy can use a break from the girl.

So, I stand from my seat and step around the table, finding my place beside Malfoy. He turns his attention from the window to me, brows creasing.

I lean toward him and whisper, "You looked like you could use a break."

His eyes send me a silent "thank you" and I just nod his way. Eleanor and Blaise are staring at me very confused, but I ignore them. Instead, I watch as Pansy walks back into the train car, her body instantly tensing when she sees that I've taken her spot beside Malfoy.

She takes my original spot beside Theo, making the boy give me a look, like inbetreyed him. Holding back a laugh I just shrug slightly and mouth an apology. Ignoring the glare I'm now being sent by the Parkinson girl, I turn back to Eleanor and Blaise, who are still talking before looking over at Malfoy who's now looking out the window again.

"How was your summer?" I question. The blond boy turns to me, his steel gray eyes meeting my blue ones. He stays quiet for a moment, examining me. I grow fidgety under his gaze.

"It was alright. I would ask how yours was, but your friend already did." I nod and just as Malfoy opens his mouth to speak again, the train jerks to a halt, making me let out a gasp as I'm flung forward, almost smacking my face on the table in front of me. I inhale sharply and look up at my friends with wide eyes as the lights flicker on and off until eventually, they turn off completely, leaving us in utter pitch darkness.