𝟏𝟎 | 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑴𝑩𝑬𝑹 𝑶𝑭 𝑺𝑬𝑪𝑹𝑬𝑻𝑺

"𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗢𝗥𝗔, 𝗛𝗔𝗩𝗘 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗗?" 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗡𝗢𝗥
shouts as she rushes into the common room, almost tripping over herself as she comes to a stop beside the chair I'm sitting in. I stare at her with furrowed brows as the girl holds up a finger, telling me to give her a second to catch her breath. I don't say a word as she let's out a breath and speaks. "Malfoy made the quidditch team, and Weasley cursed himself with his own wand."

My brows immediately shoot up to my forehead as I close the book in my hands, scoffing. "Malfoy made the team? I wonder how he accomplished that."

"And better yet, he's our new seeker."

I open my mouth to speak before closing it looking at the fire in front of me. He's our seeker? How in Merlin's name does Malfoy get everything handed to him? Speaking of which, I don't even like Malfoy, so why would Eleanor be telling me this? I slowly turn to look back to the girl. "El, why is it you're telling me this?"

The girl's face immediately goes red as she shifts her weight from one foot to the other, clearing her throat. "Well, I just thought that, you know, with you fancying Malfoy and all--"

"Oh, my God! I knew it! Eleanor, how many times do I have to tell you this? I don't fancy Draco Malfoy. He's a little weasel and a pain in my ass."

A faint snicker comes from Eleanor's direction as I turn back to the fire. I feel my cheeks growing hot as the girl just sighs and mutters, "Whatever helps you sleep at night." She walks to the dormitory, leaving me alone once again. I bite my tongue to keep from commenting as I stroke my finger over the leather cover of my book. Why would she think I like Malfoy of all people? He's nothing but a snake that likes to get under my skin...

But I can't help admitting that talking to him and teasing him is fun. Really fun. But that could mean anything; friends can be like that. Friends... Yeah, we're just friends. That's all. I inhale sharply. It's almost time for dinner, meaning I'll get to eat soon and hopefully get my mind off of everything that's happening.

Before I know it, we're leaving the Great Hall after we finish eating, and unsurprisingly, Potter wasn't there. Neither was Professor Lockhart; maybe Potter got detention, which doesn't surprise me. Potter is a bit of a troublemaker, ask anyone and they'll tell you that much.

I feel a sudden nudge on my arm and when I look up, Eleanor is beside me, leaning down to whisper to me. "So, have you come to your senses yet?"

"Shut up, El," I hiss back, elbowing her in the side. She winces in pain and holds her side as she sends me a glare before suddenly running into the person in front of her. She goes to say something when her eyes widen slightly and her lips part. My brows furrow but instead of asking her what's wrong, I look in the direction she's looking, making my eyes widen as well. Hanging from a metal rod is Mr. Filch's cat, maybe dead? I can't tell from here. But what's worse is that beside her, on the wall, is writing in blood. The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir... Beware. That's when I notice Potter, Granger, and Weasley standing in front of the writing. Along with a group of Gryfrindork students who arrived at the same time we did.

"Enemies of the heir, beware?" Malfoy reads aloud. He turns to Granger before saying, "You'll be next, mudbloods."

"What's going on here? Make way, make way." Mr. Filch's voice echoes throughout the corridor as he pushes past the Gryffindork students, stopping dead in his tracks when he sees his cat. And the only suspect can be Potter because he's the only one standing by the wall. Mr. Filch stares at Potter menacingly. "You've murdered my cat."