𝟓𝟏 | 𝑴𝑼𝑹𝑫𝑬𝑹𝑬𝑹, 𝑴𝑼𝑹𝑫𝑬𝑹𝑬𝑹, 𝑴𝑼𝑹𝑫𝑬𝑹𝑬𝑹

𝗠𝗬 𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗣𝗦 𝗔𝗥𝗘 𝗤𝗨𝗜𝗖𝗞 𝗕𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗛
between my closet and the trunk on my bed. My father has pulled my last straw, and I no longer feel safe here; not after he threatened me. And I only need a week's worth of clothes. The first half of my seventh year has been anything but joyful and my father has made it ten times worse; so much for trying, Eleanor.

Draco's the only reason I haven't been turned in to the dark lord; he's stopped the other death eaters from turning me in, but ever since Dumbledore died about ten or so months ago, The Golden Trio vanished. I honestly don't know, nor do I care, what they're up to. As long as they're finding some kind of way to kill Voldemort, I'm not worried about it.

"Lenora, please, open the door." My mother.

She might be just as bad as my father; she hasn't done a single thing to stop him. You'd think her motherly instincts would kick in and protect me from any harm, but apparently not. Now, I don't know who to trust. I certainly can't trust my parents, not most of the people at Hogwarts with it being under Snape's control. And ever since word got out that my father is Oscar Kane, notorious death eater, Theo's aunt and uncle, Blaise's mom, and Eleanor's parents don't want anything to do with me. And I promised Draco if anything we're to happen with my father, I would go straight to Malfoy Manor. Surely, Narcissa Malfoy will let me stay for a little bit. Right? I don't know so much about that rat, Lucius Malfoy, considering we got off on the wrong foot, but what he doesn't know won't kill him.

"Lenora, you know he doesn't mean any of it," my mother tries again. "You know he only wants what's best for you."

I can't help but scoff. Of course she says that, it's what she's been brainwashed to believe. "Of course it is."

I don't utter another word as I latch my trunk and grab the handle. I storm out of my room, almost knocking my mother over in the process. She desperately tries to keep me in this God forsaken house, but I can't. I won't. Not when death is lurking around every corner here.

"Lenora, just--."

"I told you no, mother. I can't stay here anymore."

"Yes you can. Just listen to what your father has to say; I promise he can't hurt you."

"Stop defending his action for once in your life!" I snap, spinning around to look at her. Her brown eyes are wide with shock and her lips are pursed. I clench my jaw and shake my head at her. "Why can't you just see my side of the situation for once? All you do is reason with me on behalf of that monster you call my father. I'm not risking my life to please him. So I'm sorry if you're disappointed in me, but I don't care."

"Is that so?" It's him.

Fear jolts through my body and my fight or flight instinct kicks in, but I'm not the scared little kid I used to me. And instead of cowering away in fear, I rip out my wand, spinning on my heel and point it at the man behind me.

"Out of my way," I hiss lowly, my voice threatening. I've used my wand on people before and I'm not afraid to use it on him, either. All he does is stare at me, challengeing me to use it. He's knows I'll use it on him, but we both know that in an all out duel, he has the upper hand. My father may be a scumbag human being, but he is an exceptional wizard. It's really the only good aspect of being his daughter.

"Now, now, Lenora. Why are you leaving in such a rush? I've given you everything you could have ever asked for, and yet, you seem ungrateful."

"I'm not becoming a death eater, do you hear me?" I ignore his comment, standing my ground. My grip tightens around my wand, insuring I won't drop it in the case I have to use it. "Nothing you say can or will change that."

"Honey, put the wand down before you do something you'll regret," my mother's surprisingly calm voice fills my ears behind me.

"Trust me, I won't regret this one bit," I growl. "I'm done being your little puppet, Oscar Kane. I'm 18, which means I can leave this place and never come back if I want."

"Where will you go?"

"Anywhere but here. Now move. Now!"

My father is still for a moment before he sighs and takes a step to the side, allowing me access to the front door. I don't make any fast movements in case I need to quickly use my wand, keeping it trained on both my parents as I slowly open the door. I don't dare look away from them the entire time, not until I'm in the street; that's when I make a run for it as fast as I can, hoping and praying neither of them will follow me.

"Stupify!" The instant that spell enters my ears, I drop to the ground, my wand falling out of my hand. My heart pounds so loudly in my ears it's hard to hear anything else. Bloody hell! My mother just tried to stun me. I have no idea if she's coming this way, but I need to get to my wand! "Lenora! You'll never survive on your own! You know it as well as I."

I spin around so I'm facing her, a lump forming in my throat. The look on her face is unlike any I've ever seen before. She's terrifying. God, is this what my parents are really like? I know my father is an awful person, but my mother has always been so kind. Was her kindness all just a lie? One sewn into all the others she's been telling me? Do either of them truly care about me at all? Or am I just a pawn in their game, someone they can throw around however they like just to benefit themselves.

"I don't care! I just need to get away from here!" I scramble backwards, mostly trying to get away from the woman before me, but a small part so I can get to my wand. Over the last couple months, my mother has slowly begun shown me what she's really like. I don't know what's different about this spring break over the others, but she's changed.

"No, Lenora. You can't escape your fate." The tears threatening to spill onto my cheeks blur my vision, making it hard to gauge how far away my mother is, until I realize she's right in front of me. My blood runs cold as she points her wand directly at me. "Your fate is to follow the Dark Lord, just as your father and I have done."

And then I see it; the mark on my mother's arm. It's recent, I know it is, because I've never seen it before. Then again, I've never seen my mother in a short sleeve, or with her sleeves rolled up, so maybe she's been a death eater this whole time and I didn't know. Why did she never tell me?

"Please, don't," I cry softly, my entire body shaking with fear.

"I'm sorry, Lenora... Stu--."

"Avada Kedavra."

Everything happens so quickly I have to take a moment for my brain to comprehend what happens. My mother goes flying, her body limp as it hits the pavement with a thud. I desperately try to swallow the enourmous lump in my throat as my head spins uncontrollably. I can't believe it... I just killed my own mother. But for some reason, I don't feel guilty. If anything, I'm relieved.

Shakily, I push myself to my feet, taking a second to regain enough strength in my legs to walk before slowly walking toward my mother's body. Her eyes are glazed over and lifeless, but she doesn't look content or scared; she looks angry. Of all the emotions I thought I'd see on my mother's face when she dies, I never thought angry would be it.

"I'm sorry, too, mum."

I straighten my posture and quickly turn back to my trunks. I need to get out of here before someone sees me. I pick up my trunks and shove my wand back into my pocket before leaving the scene as quickly as I can.

-