Chapter 31: Quiet Contemplation

No One's Point of View

It was safe to say that Remus Lupin had not been impressed by Ellestormé's 'total lack of respect for dangerous situations' - as he'd reprimanded her as soon as he'd changed back into his human form, the morning after the night before. He'd been like that of a parent if their child had done something stupid, but still made it out alive to receive relieved anger for their idiocy.
Which made Ellestormé laugh, but she couldn't blame him for how he felt. It was stupid of her.
Remus had subsequently banned her from even thinking about leaving the castle on a full moon. And, of course, Ellestormé had agreed, but as if that would stop her. And it really was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Hadn't Remus been pivotal in the escapades of the Marauder's?

The last couple of weeks before Christmas and - by extension - Ellestormé's 17th birthday, flashed by so quickly, that she barely had time to acknowledge that she had in fact been at Hogwarts for a grand total of three months. And what a three months it had been. Ellestormé could not believe that she had made it this far, once believing she would crack under the severe pressure of 20th century Britain.
But alas, her childhood was almost over. And Ellestormé found herself reminiscing the path she had taken to get there. And as the day drew closer, she began to look towards her uncertain, misunderstood and disgustingly public future that awaited her.
But Ellestormé was not the only one to be engrossed in quiet contemplation;

Alexiandra Moody - forever in a state of constant worry - was yet again plagued with a truth she was (unhappily) keeping from the young witch. The threat of 'The Five', as Charlie Weasley had called them, made the Ex-Auror sick to the stomach...

Alexiandra

"Should I tell her?" The witch fretted at breakfast on the morning of the 17th of December, staring at her husband with wide eyes. She had missed him more than words could describe. She had caused them both years of torment. But since their reunion some weeks ago, she had declared her unconditional love for him. And he had reciprocated, which sparked a flame that had never quite diminished.
Alastor Moody - his face scarred and war-aged - placed an equally mutilated hand over hers, the warmth of his skin a comfort to her.
"Personally, I'd let her have her birthday." His voice was rough, yet full of support for the love of his life. "But yes, I think you should. Or else, what was it all for? You trained her for this. Albus says that the Heads-of-House wants to put her with the Seventh Years. Apparently she's far beyond Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Levels."
Lexi chuckled knowingly, slightly reassured. But not by much. "They said the same at Beauxbatons. They advised she bypass O.W.Ls altogether. But she refused - profusely." Lexi relaxed further, bathing herself in his love, having only now realised that she had starved herself of him. How wonderful it was to just have someone to listen. Without having to train or fight or run. "She was 13. You should've seen her, Al." Lexi breathed out in awe. "We had nothing. She had nothing. All we had was each other. And it was hard, but you know what I saw?"
Alastor nodded, knowing how much she needed this.
"I watched a five year old girl take up a wand for the first time and produce a Body Bind Curse on a Death Eater that tracked us to Germany just after the war." Lexi's mouth curved into a smile at the memory. "Some might not believe what they say about her. But they should." She nodded her head to herself, hardly even speaking to her husband. Rather - at him.
"She was born to be Queen." Whispered Lexi, as if the words themselves would trigger an attack. "But strip that away and what are you left with? A strong, good witch."
Alastor reached up with the pad of his thumb and wiped the tears falling down her cheeks.
"To see a baby display unprecedented magic in the womb, to a teenager so deep in her studies, she insisted on Muggle schools!" She exclaimed. "Isabella wouldn't have even been able to handle the amount that Storm takes upon herself. But to see her become a determined and fiercely independent woman who won't turn her back on a fight, has made all of it worth it. She's - truly, uniquely brilliant."

     Alastor nodded, leaning over the end of the table to plant a kiss on her damp cheek. "Then tell her when you're ready. Preferably before the Pureblood Ball - I heard from Arthur that Malfoy is going to invite her. Wouldn't want her potentially walking into something without the facts."
Lexi's jaw hardened. She hoped Storm would decline the invitation - it was the one place she could not protect Storm. Lexi was not Pureblood. Nor was she seen as an equal to those who would turn out in their finery for the arrogant gathering of the noble bloods.
     Lexi nodded, knowing he was right. "I'll tell her on her birthday night." She grumbled, rolling her eyes, slamming a fist down on the Daily Prophet that lay open on the table. "Now, more importantly - what do I get her?"

No One's Point of View

Remus Lupin was having the same dilemma - what would he give Ellestormé for the milestone of coming Of-Age? He hated not knowing her as much as he should've; he'd been her go-to as a bubbly young girl. And now, she was all but a stranger.
     But Remus wanted to change that. Because he owed it to Isabella. He owed that to the man he thought Sirius had been.
     The thought of his childhood friend made his blood boil with fury. For passing on his reckless nature to his only child, who had all but thrown herself to the lions.
     Well, werewolf. But that was beside the point. From the moment she'd been born, Ellestormé had held the key to a part of his heart. He loved her with every ounce he possessed, knowing that he could never risk having a child of his own on account of his 'furry little problem'. And she had been the perfect blend of all the marauders, her father and Uncle's doting on her.
     And he couldn't bare the thought of harming her while Moony made his monthly emergence. Having already endured unimaginable pain at the loss of his nearest and dearest, Remus knew for certain that he would not be able to continue living if he knew he had corrupted her with his lycanthropy. There was nothing he would not do to prevent such a thing from happening. Because Ellestormé was family. And he did not have much left.
     And neither did she, which was why she didn't know that-
     He dropped the quill he was using to mark essays, knowing exactly what he would give her for her birthday. He just hoped she liked it.