Chapter 37: Oath of Old

Storm

Storm couldn't believe her ears as Archie went on to inform her of his own family's legacy.
"After the fall of the Tsar and his wife during the First Muggle World War, and their execution by the Bolsheviks, the newly ascended King Louis Caeruleus - your Great-Great-Grandfather - decided that the crown needed another form of protection, aside from just spells and enchantments around his family's estates." Archie had began, as Storm listened intently, her curiosity sparked at the mention of Muggle history. She nodded.
"Yes." She replied. "Rather a tragic story, given that the war had not been started in their country." She commented. "Go on." She pressed, not entirely sure where his story was going.
"Well, at that time - from what my mum told me - it wasn't just the Muggles who felt the hammer stroke of that war." Archie took a swig of Pumkpin Juice as Storm polished off the last of her coffee. "Anti-Muggle sentiments and prejudice against half-beings were stirring. Wizards were forbidden from aiding the Muggles. And it wasn't too long after that that Grindelwald-"
"Yes." Storm nodded, familiar with the Global Wizarding War, having studied for two years at the school where Grindelwald had left his mark.
"Well," continued Archie, looking a little lost. "I'm not totally sure of the ins and outs but basically, the Shelby's swore an oath to serve. Though, I doubt they would've needed to make the oath - the crown is regarded as the highest of nobility."
Storm visibly swallowed, still not fully grasping it.

"So - like Aurors, but for the BlueBloods?" She asked with a frown of deep thought.
"Essentially." Archie replied, himself frowning also. "Although, not exactly. Hard to say really - everything is all up in arms at the Ministry at the moment."
"Yeah." Scoffed Storm in an obvious tone. "Never had someone escape Azkaban before, have they?"
Archie surprised her by laughing. "Don't you get it?" He asked, blinking. "Escapee aside for a second - no one has any idea what to do now, because they all believed the BlueBlood line had been wiped out."
Storm's eyes widened, but she did not speak.
Archie chuckled at her lack of information and she felt stupid.
"Let me put it another way for you - up until that first article in the Prophet, wizarding Britain had no royal family. Not since before the end of You-Know-Who's war. Nothing but a broken morale of a beaten country, brought to its knees. And now-" he trailed off, giving her a once over with his eyes. "Here is the last surviving heir to the High-Crown Throne. And she," he paused, shaking his head. "Is a Queen we should've had back then."
"My mother is a Shelby." He continued and Storm was overjoyed to hear something - anything - finally. "My brother and I are Chamberlain's, but our blood is bound to protect whomever will - or does - wear the crown. To protect your blood. That is my duty. But bare with me, because I didn't have a clue up until about - hmm - the day after the Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff match."
Storm frowned, trying to understand, but still rather clueless, her mind still struggling to make sense of it all.
"Why then?" She asked, relieved that she wasn't alone in the whole 'bat-shit crazy family history'.
"Because of what happened in Romania?" It came out as a question, as if he expected her to know what he'd meant. But as her face hardened, she watched the realisation dawn on him that she did not in fact know what he was talking about.
"What. Happened. In. Romania?" She asked slowly, already making a conscious effort to keep her breathing steady and calm. She could not get angry. She knew she would learn things that had been kept from her. But it wouldn't make it any easier to hear.
Archie winced at her tone. But sighed.
     "Well, my brother sent an owl to me mom, saying that the Dragon Sanctuary where he works was attacked by 'The Five' - or something - and they were asking for you, by name. Said you had something they wanted back. Aaron - my brother - said that Charlie Weasley tried to take them on single-handed. And after, when they set fire to the forests, Hunter - the boss - was Floo'd to St Mungo's for severe burns. He's still out of action and - Storm?" He asked, confused as she jumped to her. "Where're you going?"