Chapter 29: Enchanting

Storm

     "I'm sorry."
     Storm's eyebrows furrowed at Evan, who was watching her, now with sadness in his emerald eyes. Although, he still looked as if he was wound up - his fists in balls and his shoulders tense.
     Shaking her head with a scoff, Storm took a few steps closer. "No - I'm sorry." She said gently. "Theo was right. I've been here five minutes and already I'm making things so much worse. I-"
     "You're wrong." Said Evan, himself taking a step closer to Storm. "You're doing what none of us can do." His voice was thick and Storm subconsciously sucked her lip between her teeth at the way his eyes were boring into hers. "And it shouldn't be that way. Especially not when Dolohov has no issues about laying his hands on a witch." Evan's jaw clenched again. "And I can't ignore that."
     Storm didn't know what to say, other than wanting to change the subject from herself. She didn't need to talk about it. It was what it was. But she couldn't help but feel slightly off balance at the way his eyes were holding her gaze with such - intensity.

     So, choosing her next words carefully, she stepped aside, gesturing for them to begin the trudge back to the warmth of castle.
     "And - how are you doing?" She asked softly as they left the pitch, the cold breeze sweeping over her face, turning her cheeks pink. As expected, she heard Evan let out a sharp breath, a singular dimple on one cheeks as his mouth shifted into a weak, lopsided smile.
     "Fine." He shrugged. "I mean, school is okay. Quidditch - well - Flint is getting on my nerves." He spoke so casually that Storm almost admired his swift diversion. But not enough since his hesitation did not fool her.
     "You're playing the next match, aren't you?" She asked politely, adding to his conversation, "but, you know that's not what I meant." Storm cringed to herself when she heard her own words. "Sorry - I'm just both worried and curious. It's - not something I've ever heard of and, it's clearly having a massive impact on you."
     Evan chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his neck as the two caught each others eye again. Storm was eager to know more. But she could see how much weight it had put on his shoulders. Both literally and figuratively.
     "I'd never have guessed." He joked sarcastically, before his eyes dropped to the floor in front of him and Storm felt guilty for bringing it up. "But I don't blame you. Even those of us who have Manifested, never knew until we did."
     Storm jerked her head sideways. Interesting. And strange - very strange. She didn't interrupt him, as he thought about his next words.
     He pulled his fingers through his hair, pushing it from his eyes. "It was overnight." He said, gesturing to himself, a look of disgust on his face, his nose crinkling. "The day before my birthday, I was - well - I was always, um - thanks to Quidditch-" he trailed off, stuttering and Storm found it cute the way he didn't want to seem vain.
     "I know what you're trying to say." She said, smiling. "It was why I began to wonder if you were okay. I - noticed the difference. Things happen that give us new perspective."
     Without thinking, Storm placed her hand on his arm. Which was weird, because she had never been a fan of physical contact. She felt the heat radiating from his skin, under his thick jumper. And, for a moment, she forgot what she was going to say.
     "You don't have to tell me." She whispered, "I know we haven't much spoken, but if there's anything you need." She nodded her head slightly.

     Evan's eyes captured hers and her breath hitched in her throat as he reached up to tuck a loose tendril of hair behind her ear. A feat which made her heart quicken.
     "I'd say the same to you, Storm." He replied, her lip back between her teeth at the way her name rolled off his tongue. "But I'd like you to tell me." He added, "I don't want to know who everyone else thinks you are."
     Storm hadn't noticed that their faces had inched closer. So close in fact, that she could feel his breath on her cheek, her hand still on his arm. She blinked, unsure of how in the hell she got herself here.
     What did she do now? How could she-
     "Being what I am." He said finally, his face moving back an inch. "It makes me - particular. I'll lend you the book, because I can't explain it. But-"
     Storm almost shivered when she felt his arm snake around her waist, but that might've been from the cold.
     What did she do? What did she do?
     Her eyes glanced to his lips and once again, she bit down on her own, shifting her eyes back to his as his hand came to her chin.
     "You are enchanting."
She could smell his minty breath as their eyes fluttered closed. But she was freaking out. She prayed to Merlin for some sign as to what to do.