Chapter 18: Little Dove

Saturday, September 4th 1993

Dear Storm,
Why didn't you tell me you were back in Europe? I would've come to you straight away - you know you're welcome here anytime. How was your exams? Did you manage to pass Charms? In your last letter, you mentioned you were struggling. Although I find that hard to believe, you ABSOLUTE genius!

I was surprised to receive your Phoenix, after so much time since I sent my letter. But I'm glad to hear you are well. We've got eight new Hatchlings, only one from your Opal-Eye who the lads have started calling Thunder. She's got your temperament, you fiery witch. But she's a little darling who has bonded with my Head Keeper, Charlie.

Maybe you've heard of him? He's got family at Hogwarts, who wrote to tell him of you. Slytherin, aye? I would congratulate you, but ever a Hufflepuff, I stand by my old house. Perhaps I'll come and see you near to Christmas - I have something for you I think you'll like. Or you could come to Romania in the summer, I miss your running commentary and reckless bravado in front of our Dragons!

I've gotta admit though - I rewrote this once this mornings paper was delivered. I had no idea you were a BlueBlood! And, I wanted to tell you that if there's ever ANYTHING you need, all you have to do is ask. And if you need me, I will get the next International Portkey to you. I know what the papers say, about you and your family. But I know they write a warped truth. And I would give my life to protect you, little dove.
But I won't dampen this letter, because I have some news of my own;
I'm getting married! Yes, to Elena. Well, we're engaged. She's not at all keen to get married yet - she wants a long engagement. I hope you know I'm rolling my eyes. You know what she's like!

She wants to wait until we've finished the refurb as she wants the ceremony at the Sanctuary! I swear, how am I so lucky to find a witch who loves Dragon as much as I? I know! I know what you're thinking, dove, but I'm far too old for you. But I'm sure a few of the lads here could rival even your passion for the remarkable beasts.

Now tell me about Hogwarts! How're the classes? I'm sure Professor Grubbly-Plank absolutely adores your attraction to magical creatures. Although, watch out - he has a tendency to hurt himself whenever he gets near a creature! Give McGonagall my best, she was always a big softy when it came to Quidditch players who weren't afraid of the Library. I think that's why Charlie and I get along so well. You know he almost played for England? I guess I should be thankful he wants to chase dragons instead of snitches!

I know you'll be sitting, alone in your dormitory. You always were uncommonly shy. But let me tell you, little dove - you spread your wings and show those slimy Slytherins (sorry, force of habit) how we do things. As you know, the world is bigger than the pettiness of school gossip. You knock 'em dead my girl. And I'll see you very soon.

I could write metres of parchment, but I'm afraid we've had a bit of bother with poachers recently. And now, what with the press attention, things are a bit mental. But I will give my love to our precious Dragons and look forward to getting your reply.

Stay fierce, little dove.
Yours,
Hunter

Monday, September 6th 1993

Storm,
I've been beside myself, fearing the worst and hating the fact I've left you alone in this. Everything is unfolding faster than I anticipated. And I'm SO sorry that I wasn't the one to tell you. I've met with Dumbledore, who's kept in contact with the old crowd - those who know the full extent, who know more that Rita Skeeter.
I'm staying in Hogsmeade. It appears it isn't just Britain who've reported our return and our time overseas have made the connection, knowing it is us whom they interacted. You should expect madness outside Hogwarts walls' and I promise you I will do everything in my power to ensure your transition into society is without trouble. You are, of course, still entitled to some freedoms, until you come Of-Age in December. But I cannot promise life will be the same after you turn seventeen.
I will not push you to see me, but I will be here for the foreseeable future - there are many elements in play now. Ones which I have not faced since the day we left. There is still much to explain, even if you've read the papers, there is still so much you don't know. And all I can say is that I will forever be sorry for not protecting you better.
Have fun at school. I want you to have that at least. Laugh as much as you can and enjoy what Hogwarts has to offer.
All my love,
Lexi x