Chapter 20: Never Go Anywhere Unprepared

Alexiandra

     Lexi watched Storm's back, as the witch left The Three Broomsticks, mothering the daughter of Rabastan Lestrange himself, who had gorged herself on Firewhiskey and was in no state to be left by herself.
     "Extraordinarily like her mother." Came the in awe voice of Adele Shelby from her right, as she and Remus remained seated at their table - the other Professors gone. "You wait, I bet she's reprimanding them for making her assist them back to the castle." Adele added as Remus glanced at the empty doorway the four young Slytherin's had just left out of.
     "You've got to hand it to her." Said Remus from his fourth glass of Butterbeer. "I heard she's banned anyone from talking of the Prophet. Severus said she's refused to meet Albus every week since the start of term." Lexi gazed at her old school friend, the love she felt for him was that of a brother. And, she hadn't realised how much she'd missed him, until she was hit with the familiar embrace of his lean arms.
     He had been at the first meeting where Molly was present, dumbstruck at the sight of his dead friend. He hadn't taken it well at all, the two nearly drawing wands when Remus refused to believe that Lexi was in fact, alive, thinking whoever Lexi was, was under the influence of Polyjuice. But after a lengthy night, with tears spilt, staying up until well into dawn, Lexi had loaded everything onto Remus' open and listening shoulders and ears, telling him everything.

     Remus caught Lexi's eye and smiled at her, his scarred face contorting as his eyes brightened.
     "Has he said anything else?" Asked Lexi eagerly. "Storm doesn't take well to - well - wizards as particular as Severus." Adele chuckled under her breath, but Remus was the one to reply.
     "No." He shook his head. "But he wouldn't have to - Archie and Lennox Redwood practically explode with hysterics whenever they have Potions together."
Lexi was on the edge of her seat, dying to know how Storm was doing at school. It was the only thing they'd hadn't spoken of. And Storm had yet to write her an actual letter.
"You know?" Continued Remus, sipping his beverage. "She's got everyone in a fuss - no one quite knows how to approach her. But public opinion has changed as time's gone on. I know Oliver Wood has made it his personal mission to get her out onto the pitch. And Luna Lovegood studies with her twice a week. And she tutors Neville Longbottom two evenings a week too. I don't know how she keeps on top of everything."

Lexi scoffed in amusement. "The way her mind is compartmentalised - from what I can tell - is quite a lot for her to take in. She remembers everything. Well, except for those memories." Lexi paused as Adele chucked.
"Doesn't surprise me. Isabella was always going a million miles and hour. And Sirius was mostly unapproachable, wasn't he?" Their light mood darkened as the three fell silent.
Lexi's thoughts drifted to the convict at large, who'd never given any sign that he would one day become what he was now. Lexi saw the flash of heartbreak in Remus' eyes, as he checked his watch for the umpteenth time. It was almost that time again.
"I have to go-" Remus got to his feet at the same time Lexi jumped up, downing the last of her Firewhiskey.
"Sorry to love you and leave you, Del." Lexi spoke, scooting past Adele to stand beside Remus. "But I can't let this one," she jerked her finger at the wizard, "go without going to Honeydukes. See you tomorrow?"
Adele Shelby's face morphed into confusion, but Lexi was already guiding Remus by his hand, pulling him from the pub, under the dark blue sky.
"I know what you're doing." Said Remus after a while, Lexi walking straight past the sweet shop. "And you don't have to-"
Lexi whipped around on her heel, standing in front of Remus so quickly, he didn't have time to stop himself from bumping into her. She grabbed his shoulders to steady him, looking him dead in the eye.
"I know, but I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter." She replied firmly. "I'm just - sorry I left you - alone, Moony." Her voice broke as she gazed at him, wanting to tell him - again - that she wished everything could've been different. She saw Remus flinch at the use of his old nickname and lifted her hand to touch his scarred cheek, tracing a particular nasty looking one that tore from his eyebrow, to his jaw.
Remus' breathing hitched, as if he welcomed her touch. And Lexi knew how hard it had been for him to survive, by himself, in a world that hated what he was.
"What did I tell you when he gave you this one?" She asked, her fingertip still on the vicious scar. She felt Remus shudder violently under her palm, as he heard her reference to the beast within him. "You do not get to choose who cares about you, Remus Lupin." She spoke, remembering the very same words she had spoken back in their seventh and final year, back when things were simple. "You don't get to feel sorry for yourself because - whether you like it or not - he is a part of you. Not the other way round."
Lexi saw fresh tears spill over, trickling down his cheeks as she come to lay her hand on his neck. "I'm here, Moony." She whispered, wiping his eyes with her thumb. "And I'm not going to leave you again. I promise." And she leaned in and touched her lips to his forehead, wrapping her arms around his neck. "You're family. Nothing will ever change that."
When the two pulled away, Lexi searched his eyes for the answer to her next question. "Now, have you taken your Potion today?"
Fear flooded him and he pushed himself away from her. "No!" He cried out in terror. "I was meant to get it from Severus. Oh, shit!"
But Lexi dug her hand into her inside pocket, searching for a box that had been such a brilliant idea of Storm's. She flicked open the top of it with her thumb, summoning a small phial from within.
"Never go anywhere unprepared." Said Lexi lightly, offering the phial of Wolfsbane. "A lesson Storm took quite literally." Remus took the phial and took the stopper out, knocking it back.
     "Yes, I've never met someone so organised," replied Remus, licking his lips of the residue, waiting for the grimace that wouldn't come. "Thank you but, it doesn't taste like-"
     "A spoonful of sugar and a dash of lemon juice - the world has got Storm to thank for that." Said Lexi, as the two walked up the path. "She's something of an experimental witch. Always wanting to create something. She's-" Lexi trailed off, unable to find the right words. But Remus seemed to understand, because he nodded, pulling his cloak tighter around himself as his paced slowed. He was exhausted from the lunar cycle and Lexi wished she could take it away for him.