Chapter 7: Hundreds of Judgemental Eyes

Storm

The final days of the summer holidays passed by in a relative blur as Storm confined herself to the Flat above number 93 Diagon Alley. She had not stepped outside since dinner with the Weasley family four nights before. Instead, she had packed and re-packed her black trunk more times in the last few days than she ever had, constantly worried that she was forgetting something. But each time she emptied her trunk, she found that she hadn't left anything out and that she was worrying for nothing.
     So, during the periods where she was satisfied with her luggage, she spent long hours, curled on the sofa with a book in her lap, lapping up the knowledge with an eager expression. She'd started on the books she'd recently purchased for the upcoming year, soaking up the thought-provoking theories on why Werewolves were considered dangerous.
     Then, needing something else to occupy her time, Storm took to inhaling the words written on the pages of the books dotted around the flat.
     But no matter how much she read, Storm could not ignore the most burning question she had at present:
     'Where would she be sorted?'
     It wasn't that she was scared about what would happen the moment she arrived at the school in Scotland. More that, she was curious about where she would end up. Of the lengthy research she'd embarked upon by rereading Hogwarts: A History, she decided that, actually, any of the four houses would be thrilling in entirely different ways.

     Hufflepuff - home of the hardworking and loyal. Traits that Storm would like to think she possessed. And, she was partial to wearing a splash of yellow on occasion. And black, well - black was slimming.
     Next was Gryffindor, where go the chivalrous and brave. And once again, Storm could see how she could be brave. Because, hadn't it been bravery that made her run into that werewolves den in South East Asia, to save those two boys? And, could the same be said for how she'd managed to disarm three witches who had tried to attack Lexi in New Zealand?
     Storm shook her head. No, that was just pure stupidity. She could've gotten herself killed.
     And then there was Slytherin, for the ambitious and the cunning, which earned its reputation through the Dark Arts and evil.
     But, Storm supposed. Merlin himself was a Slytherin. And he never sided with Morgan Le Fay.
     But that didn't make Storm any less open to the idea. Especially with the recent history of her apparent relatives.
     And finally, fair Ravenclaw - the house that Storm would pick for herself if given the choice. To be sorted for one's intellect, in whichever way it manifested would be an honour. Storm got giddy with anticipation.
     Wherever she went, she'd make the most of it. She was after all, attending Hogwarts for academic reasons. She didn't need to get caught up in all the 'house hype', as Lexi had described it.

     Storm blinked, snapping out of her thoughts when she heard a knock on her bedroom door.
     "Come in!"
     The door opened and revealed Lexi, who had kept her distance over the past near week, going to and from Diagon Alley each day.
     "Just wanted to see how you were? Are you all ready for tomorrow?" Lexi scanned the room and Storm saw the smile on her face as Lexi noticed what she'd done with the room.
     It was no longer white and simple, but decked with posters and pictures (both moving and still), from their times abroad.
     "All packed and ready to go. Got my posters and pictures ready for the wall, my broom - although I won't be flying. And enough money for the mystery weekends you won't tell me about." Storm eyed Lexi suspiciously, but the witch did not give anything away.
     "Look at you!" Lexi beamed excitedly, sitting at the end of Storm's bed. "I'm so proud of you. And, rather than coming back for Christmas, I'll come to you. Do a little something for your birthday." Storm rolled her eyes as Lexi winked.
     "What's so special about my birthday? Can't you just send a card with Alandra?"
     Lexi scoffed playfully. "I let you talk me into not celebrating every year. But your 17th? If you think you're getting out of it, you're gravely mistaken. We're celebrating, end of story."
     Storm huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Fine. But I swear to Merlin, if anyone but you says happy birthday, then I'll know you spilled the beans." Storm sent Lexi a warning look, but Lexi sniggered.
     "Actually, there's at least 7 people who will know when your birthday is." Lexi said with a lopsided grin.
     Storm groaned.
     "Sorry, but that's what you get when you're born in the Hogwarts Hospital Wing-" Lexi trailed off and Storm looked away in thought, stunned.
Born in Hogwarts? That's gotta be some kind of absurdity in itself.
"Where is Alandra, anyway?" Asked Lexi, changing the subject and Storm was glad for the distraction, getting to her feet and heading to the wardrobe, where her outfit for the next day was hanging up ready.
"Taking a letter to Hunter. He wrote to let me know that the Hatchlings were on their way. She should be back in a few days. I sent a letter to France too." Storm explained as she pulled out a pair of grey jogging bottoms and a white vest. "What time are we leaving in the morning?"
"Half nine. I thought we could walk the two miles to the station. Grab a coffee on the way?"
Storm nodded, turning her back on Lexi. "Okay, I'll see you in the morning." Storm wished tomorrow would never come.