Chapter 6: Head-Spinning Complication

Alexiandra

Lexi woke with a start, the sound of a door closing, followed by footsteps dragging her from her enchanted slumber. She could tell she'd been spiked with a Sleeping Draught, because the fuzzy fog in her mind disorientated her in the darkness.
     How had she ended up in bed? The last thing she remembered was getting out the old albums and - oh no! - the Firewhiskey.
     "Shit." She hissed. "Storm?!" She called out groggily, her head throbbing and heavy. There was no answer. But the footsteps got closer to the bedroom door. Lexi sat bolt upright, ignoring the dizziness.
     The footsteps stopped abruptly and the door creaked open, illuminating the room with a crack of golden light from the hallway. Lexi's heart was pounding, but as soon as Storm's head popped through the gap, she let out a relieved breath.
     "Oh! You're awake." Said Storm, pushing open the door further. "How're you feeling?" She asked gently, pointing her wand at the candles around the room that flickered on, casting an orange-yellow glow around the dim room.
     "Fine." Replied Lexi, slowly getting to her feet, swaying dangerously as she put her full weight on her legs. Then, she noticed the black dress Storm was wearing. "Where've you been?"
     Storm let out a chuckle, throwing one of her plaits over her shoulder. "Dinner - with the Weasley's. I passed on your apologies. Mrs Weasley hopes your fever has cleared up." Storm walked into the room, her eyes never leaving Lexi's.
     Lexi was surprised at Storm's solo appearance at the Leaky Cauldron. She knew the teenager had trouble with social situations when she was with Lexi. Let alone go by herself.
     "I'm so-"
     "No!" Storm cut Lexi off, pointing a finger at her. "There's no need for that. I enjoyed it!" Lexi saw the wide, genuine grin on her face. "They're certainly not what I imagined." But Storm's face fell and she made Lexi nervous with the worried look she was giving her.
     "What?" Asked Lexi, her mind still hazy from the alcohol she'd consumed earlier in the day.
     Storm sighed, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, patting the covers next to her. Lexi sat down, confused by what was happening.
     "I'm the one who should be saying sorry." Storm began as Lexi was still at a loss. "You had a life here. Maybe I did too, but I have no memory of it. You - I don't want you to worry about me this year. And I don't want you to put yourself through telling me something that is still so real for you."
     "I'm no-"
     Storm cut Lexi off again. "Let me do this for you. Let me worry about me. And it's my turn to worry about you. I - don't want to know a thing about any of this until you're ready. And as for Hogwarts - after who I just met - I can't wait!"

     Lexi felt guilt rise like bile in her throat and she couldn't form the words to speak. She stared at Storm, in awe of her. In pure admiration for the witch whom she loved like her own. But she wasn't, and that was why it was so hard. The repercussions of the war had changed everyone's life. And only now did Lexi realise how much she desired a child of her own. Well, another child. One that would not be plagued with war. One that would not be taken from her.
     Not that she loved Storm any less, but Lexi had had to be everything Isabella had wanted. Not what she would be as a mother. To Storm, Lexi had been a guide, a teacher - training Storm, protecting her. But never, a mother. And it crippled Lexi that she couldn't give Storm the one thing that she needed.
     Finally, Lexi found the right words. "I will always worry about you, darling. Because, even if I'm not your mother, I love you the same. And my duty to Bella will never come to an end. But thank you." Lexi nudged Storm with her elbow. "But if that's your way of telling me to back off - I will. Can't have your old Godmother embarrassing you, can we?"
     Storm snorted, rolling her eyes playfully. "I love you too, Lex. But we both know it's me who embarrasses you."
     Lexi didn't want to let Storm leave her so quickly. Maybe Storm was right. Maybe Lexi wasn't ready for all this. Perhaps, in her effort to be what Storm needed, she hadn't actually taken a moment for herself. And as soon as it dawned on her that soon, she would have nothing but alone time, she dreaded September 1st - only two days away.