Chapter 3: Love and Hate

Storm

     As the inner workings of the lock clicked out of place, a bronze handle - in the shape of an eagle - materialised out of no where, a pair of sapphire eyes blinked as if it were alive.
     "State your full names." A raspy voice escaped the metal beak of the figurine. "Date of birth and parental names." It finished.
      Storm marvelled at the intricate form of magic, staring at it in amazement as Lexi stepped closer to it, clearing her throat.
     "Alexiandra Marica Moody. 17th of February 1960." She announced. "Mr and Mrs Tobias and Marica Mason."
     Storm was surprised at Lexi's words. She had never heard so much as a breath about her mentor's family. Come to think of it, Storm knew very little about Lexi. Only that which they had shared, together. Storm knew nothing of the witch she had been in her teenage years.
     But Storm could not find the energy to care at all. If Lexi wished to speak of it, then that was up to her. And then Storm would listen with an open heart.
     Lexi looked at Storm expectantly, pulling her from her thoughts.

     "Ellestormé Venus - Black." Stuttered the teenager, still deciding how she felt about the name. It felt, odd. Like it didn't even belong to her. "22nd of December 1976-" Storm trailed off, her knowledge ending there. And, for the first time, she felt lost.
     Lexi's continued for her. "Isabella Molano and - Sirius Black."
     Storm felt the colour drain from her face as her jaw dropped open. The violent lurch in her stomach made her queasy and she thought she might need to empty its contents onto the cobbles at her feet.
     'Sirius Black?!' She thought in disgust. 'The - murderer. The escaped convict. But why-'
     "Dumbledore thinks he'll come for me." She blurted. "That's why he sent for me, isn't it? The murderer escaped." Storm clenched her fists and let out a hmph. "Well," she sneered, scowling, "there we go. I suppose this will give me just the anonymity I was hoping for. Brilliant." She snarled, grasping the polished eagle handle and pushing the door on its hinges with brunt force.
     "Ouch!" Shouted the door handle as the back of the door smashed against the wall with such fury.
     "Sorry." Snapped Storm, fuming. But as soon as she took a step over the threshold, she turned and hit her head hard against the door frame once. "Bastard! A family of Death Eaters." Storm hissed, resting her head against the painted frame. She turned her head against the wood and looked up at Lexi, who watched with an apologetic, sympathetic expression.
     "On both sides, I'm afraid." Lexi winced, her eyes brimming with unshed tears. Storm felt guilt wash over her. She could not take it out on Lexi. It wasn't her fault.
     Storm sighed and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath as a prickle of magic heated her skin at a rapidly growing temperature. Straightening up and running a hand through her loose brown waves, Storm clenched her fists, fighting with herself to stay calm.
     'No!' Storm told herself firmly. 'You know what happens when you lose control! You can't do that. Just, breathe.'
     Storm refused to let herself fall over the edge. That would not be good for anyone. But she had never felt rage like it. It was white hot in her veins and she her sight was darkening with a red mist.
     "Come on." Said Lexi quickly. "We'll talk upstairs. It's much more - discreet." Lexi slipped past Storm and walked into a dimly lit hallway. Storm took another step in, noticing for the first time, a staircase at the end of the hall.
     'Breathe, you dickhead.' She snapped in her mind, forcing herself to inhale deep, ragged lungfuls of oxygen, trying her hardest to calm down. But it helped very little.
     Closing the door behind her with another apology to the handle, Storm followed Lexi with reluctance. Being in Egypt felt so long ago. And now? Now she was regretting taking that parchment envelope from Lexi's hand.
     "Who lives here?" Asked Storm as they climbed the spiralling stairs, up into a large living room area, a huge, empty fireplace in one wall. She had to regain focus. She had to distract herself with something.
"No one." Replied Lexi. "At least, not for a while." She added, throwing her cloak over the side of a large sofa, made of the most striking bronze colour. Like that of the door handle.
     Storm gazed around in awe at the bookshelves that filled the rest of the walls, except for two doors beside each other, leading into the rest of the flat. She pushed her anger to the depths of her mind, her inner calm expanding little by little.