Chapter 11: Something Funny

Evan

"Due to your - adequate - marks on your O.W.Ls-" Evan almost rolled his eyes at Professor Snape's choice of phrasing. "You have been excepted onto the N.E.W.T level courses of your choice."
Adequate? He had gained 12 O.W.Ls - almost a perfect score across the board, except for Transfiguration. Though he still did well. Or was that not good enough?
He seethed silently as he was given his timetable, scanning the page until he saw the schedule for that day - Thursday. Double Defence, Charms, Ancient Runes, finishing off the day with double Potions.
Not too shabby for his first day back.
"It appears-" continued Snape as Evan stuffed it into his pocket, watching his Head-of-House turn to Storm. "Miss Black, I have not received your exam scores. You have completed your O.W.Ls, yes?"
Evan saw Storm visibly gulp and wondered what she was thinking.
"Yes, sir." She nodded, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. "Taken last year at the Durmstrang Institute."
     Durmstrang? Storm had been at Durmstrang? Evan was stunned, since the school in the north was notorious for focusing very heavily on the Dark Arts.
Very heavily.
"Well?" Snape snapped, making Theo and Liberty clutch their heads again. "I do not have all day, Miss Black. How many did you get?"
"I'd - rather not say in company, Professor." Storm looked sheepish, and Evan saw the intense stare Snape gave her, trying his very best to intimidate her - a look he'd seen many times before.
"Spit it out, Miss Black. Or I will not permit you to attend classes."
Evan heard Storm sigh, but he was too busy watching Snape, whose lips curled into a sneer. The Professor knew, he just wanted to put her on the spot.
     'Dickhead.' Evan thought bitterly.
"Fine, sir." Storm said, taking a deep breath. "I achieved 15 O.W.Ls in total, however I believe you only offer twelve at N.E.W.T level. So I'll take each class. If that isn't too much for you to handle, Professor." She spoke quickly, without hesitation.
Evan was dumbstruck by Storm's reply to Snape's demand. He didn't know it was possible to take more than 12, let alone 15 O.W.Ls! How could anyone study that much?!
     Evan stole a glance at the witch, trying to imagine the things she knew inside that pretty little head of hers. She would be an interesting addition to the usual prats that he shared some of his lessons with.

Professor Snape scoffed. "Exaggeration will get you nowhere, Miss Black." He looked down at the parchment in his hands. "Now tell me the truth - how many subjects did you pass."
Evan saw something behind Storm's eyes snap, and she got to her feet, rising to the same level as the Potions Master. She bowed her head to Snape, but her eyes were darkened with anger.
"I respect your authority, Professor Snape." She spoke politely, her accented tone falling low. "But I have nothing to gain from exaggerating. So do not insult me by effectively calling me a liar, because it was you who insisted I share it openly. But, if you do need further confirmation, I have a copy of my results. Would you care to see them now, or should I send an owl?"

Evan had to bite his hand to stop himself from laughing when he caught sight of Professor Snape's livid expression, his black eyes narrowed and a vein popping out of his forehead. Snape was not used to someone standing up to him. He usually made people cower.
     But not Storm.
Storm stood her ground and Evan was in awe of the fact that Snape could not seem to make her cave. She held his glare and stood, almost motionless in front of him. It was obvious to Evan that there was much more to her than he'd originally believed. And part of him hoped he would be the one to find out what made her tick.
Professor Snape waved his wand over the top sheet of parchment, before flinging it at the table and blanking her, moving onward down the Slytherin table. But Storm stayed on her feet, grabbing the loose parchment, her eyes scanning the page.