Chapter 65

You sat across from him at Pop's as he typed away on his computer. Clearly Toni's comments had motivated him. The waiter brought over two cokes and two milkshakes. Your stomach grumbled as you sipped the beverages. You hadn't eaten that day and were looking forward to those infamous cheeseburgers.

"You're awfully quite over there." Jughead said stirring you from your thoughts.

You laughed. "I'm just letting you write."

He reached over to the table and put his hand on yours. "What are you thinking about?"

"Food."

He smiled. "That is one of my most frequented thoughts." He rubbed your hand with his thumb. "Anything else? You seem a little uneasy."

"I guess I'm just thinking about Fall Festival tomorrow. With my dad being there. I showed him proof of the English assignment and he seems okay with me going with Veronica, but I am worried about... I don't know, it's just going to be uncomfortable." You decided to change the subject. "So, Toni adores your writing."

"Are you implying that she shouldn't?"

"No of course not. I am just intrigued now. I wish I could read that story."

"You can read my writing anytime. You don't have to ask." Jughead smiled as the burgers with onion rings were set on the table. "Thanks." He said, taking a bite before the waiter even stepped away. Within minutes you were both sitting with your plates wiped clean.

"You know I never asked if you ended up going to see your dad when we got back from Shadow Lake."

"I did. Nothing of importance really happened. We're still just banking on the statement Cheryl gave to have an impact. I guess we won't know until his next hearing. He looked out of the window. "So, I was thinking we could go for a ride tonight. To nowhere in particular. Just to ride the country roads."

"That would be great."

"And you can stay at my place again tonight, since we're just going to be heading to Fall Festival together tomorrow."

"Yeah definitely. I do need to head home for a bit though. Check if there's any messages from the school, take a shower and stuff."

"Okay, that works out. I'll go downtown and get my phone situation sorted. I'll pick you up around seven if that works?"

"Yeah."

He slid into the seat next to you. "Do you want me to walk you home?"

"No, I'll be fine." You glanced at the midday sun. "Go get your phone."

"Okay." He leaned in and kissed you. "I'll see you soon."

...

You took another look at yourself in the mirror as your phone buzzed.

7:02pm

Jughead: I'm here.

You slipped on your mini backpack and headed out the door, meeting him on the corner. He had stopped the bike and was leaning against it with his helmet off.

"Hey, I guess you got your phone."

"Yeah, I had to get a different model. A newer one that has a bunch of crap I don't want or need, but it's what they had."

"I'm sorry." You gave him a small kiss.

"I'll live." He pulled you into a hug. "Alright let's hit the road."

You mounted the bike after him, enjoying being pressed up against him. You noticed he was wearing fingerless leather gloves that night, and had a small bag attached to the back of the motorcycle. He revved the engine before taking off. You were soon zooming through the streets of the town, minutes later flying down a country road. The trees and far-off lights merely a haze in your peripheral vison. The feel of the wind and the open road was so freeing and wonderous, you just wanted to speed across the entire country with him. He eventually took a thin winding road that ascended up a bluff.