realis abaeis nicippe

chapter sixty eight: realis abaeis nicippe

Next thing you know, you hear the sound of a gate opening and footsteps drawing near. You lay quietly, unable to move and unable to talk. All you can do is wait with your heart nearly beating out of your chest until you see a familiar man hovering over you.

"Hey, look at you, finally awake," he grins. "You've been out for like a day now, but you're the first one up!"

He then bends down beside you and tilts your head to the right. There, you see Kuroo's body laying limp beside you. His face is pale, sickly, and it almost looks as though he's already dead. The only bit of color near him is a small peacock butterfly that has landed on his nose. You want to scream out against the man's wicked smile above you, but you're absolutely helpless.

"And now the other side," he hums to himself as he turns your head to the left. This time you see Tsukishima with his eyes wide open, unblinking.

"Huh, guess he won't be waking up any time soon," the man laughs.

Of fucking course it was him. He must've knocked you out when you were on one of your walks around the garden with him. Then, once you were unconscious, he probably dragged you into the garden and took out the other two.

"Well, that makes one down and two to go," he almost sings in enjoyment. "Ya know, you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover, Y/N. You should've listened to your dead friend over there and drove me over. Then it woulda been you in this situation, not me."

You attempt to narrow your eyes and knit your eyebrows together, but you seem to be paralyzed completely at this point.

"Shit, I almost forgot you can't fucking talk. I do feel a bit bad it didn't end right away but where's the fun in that, am I right?" he continues to laugh until he looks back down at you. Then, his smile fades into his frown and he stares in disgust. "Where's your fuckin' sense of humor, Y/N?"

"F-" you begin to sound out, struggling to move your lips.

"Aw, what's that? Are ya gonna laugh, too? Maybe if you do I'll only use this meat cleaver for two. I think that'd be enough fertilizer once it's all ground up, don't ya think?" he smirks down at you. "I could use the company. What do ya say?"

"Fuh," you continue to attempt your word, not giving in to his stupid game.

"You do have a lovely garden, didn't I tell you that before? And you know what, it'll look even better when I expand it. Think maybe I'll block the whole area off so I can keep people and animals out. Turn it into a camp, sorta thing. You ever think of it like that before? Could be a whole fucking commune if I get a whole lotta people to move in," he thinks aloud.

Your body relaxes as your vision begins to blur. You look past him, and up at the sky. One of the clouds almost looks like a butterfly to you, but you don't dwell on it for long. Instead, you rather cling to the warmth and the light from the sun before it's all used up.

"I asked you a question, princess!" he then shouts, grabbing you by your shirt and pulling you up closer to him. "Did I ever tell you that before?! I can't fuckin' remember?!"

You're just barely able to shake your head no until your mind goes to yet another place. But this time you're taken back to Suna. Back to how, in your dream, he called you his pillow princess. And perhaps sometimes, yeah, you were, but it was only because he cared about you so damn much he'd want to treat you like a real princess.

You genuinely did love him, and still do. It hurts so bad knowing you can't say goodbye. That you can't say sorry. You should've made time. You should've begged him to stay. But instead, here you are. Dying alone at the hands of a homicidal maniac.

"Jesus, you're fucking pathetic, Y/N," he scoffs as he lets go and lets your back hit the ground. But as you do, a breath of air fills your lungs and you're able to knit your eyebrows together for the first time.

"Fuck you!" you shout, despite the meat cleaver raised in his hand. "I hope you rot in hell you piece of-"

"Ahh," Bokuto sighs the moment you finally shut up. Hard to do any talking with your head cut off. "Finally."

"Silence."

Then, just as quietly as Bokuto sits, the beautiful tailed judy butterfly that you had seen moments before lands on your cheek and bends down, almost as if it were kissing you goodbye.

Bokuto watches in silence, as it then continues to sit there and look back up at him.

"Fuck you, too, you bitch. Shoulda minded your own business," he scoffs as he tosses the knife to the ground. He then lays back and stares up at the sky, eyeing the same butterfly cloud you had.

"If you don't mind," Kuroo's voice then rings in Bokuto's ear along with the sound of him rifling through the grass, "I'd like to finish what Y/N was trying to tell you."

When Bokuto looks up, he sees Kuroo hovering above him with his meat cleaver in his opponent's head.

"Rot in hell in treachery, the deepest circle of hell, you piece of shit!"

After one quick cut, the deed is done and silence befalls the garden yet again. It's then that Kuroo's strength gives out and he falls down to his knees. Small wet stains befall his pants as he looks over at you, a woman whom he had just met- yet wanted to protect so badly.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry," he whispers.

When the rest of him gives out, he falls flat on top of Bokuto's lifeless body.

Unus

Duo

Tres

Quattuor

Four corpses lay side by side in an evergreen garden.

The rabbit still nibbles nearby.

Two squirrels run through on his way to the woods.

And three butterflies make their way toward the sky. Perhaps back to the cloud with a similar shape. But those four corpses stay still. Silent. Unmoving. Except for the small beat still left in one heart.