feniseca tarquinius

chapter ten: feniseca tarquinius

After your group leaves for Moniniaceae, you all crowd into your bus which seems as though it is shrinking by the day. There was a time when you thought you had all of the space in the world but now you all just feel cramped and tired. You'll definitely need to find somewhere to camp outside tonight.

With Kuroo and Tsukishima sitting upfront and Bokuto napping on the couch after you checked his leg for the umpteenth time today (for fear that something bad might happen to him on the trip), you sit with Kiyoko at your table. She looks quite tense, bouncing her leg up and down as she stares into a different world.

"Are you alright?" you ask her.

"Fine," she breathes as she continues glaring at nothing.

"Kiyoko are you sure? If something is wrong you can tell us... or just me if you want."

Finally, she looks over at you. "I could use the bathroom,"

You nod softly at her before walking up to the guys in the front. "Hey, if you see anything to stop at, let's pull over. Kiyoko's gotta use the bathroom and I wouldn't mind getting off this bus for a bit either."

"Already?" Kuroo asks.

"We did leave two hours ago," you defend on Kiyoko's behalf even though it has really only been a little over an hour and a half.

"Look, there's a rest stop up there," Tsukishima points out. "We can stop there."

When the bus pulls into the rest stop parking area, Kiyoko practically bursts out of the bus. The rest of you sit in shock, including Bokuto who woke up when the bus stopped.

"Is she alright?" he then asks.

"I think she got car... or maybe bus sick?" you shrug. "Either way, you guys wait here. I'll go check on her."

"You sure you want to go by yourself?" Kuroo asks.

"It'll be fine. There's nobody here," you point out as you grab your sweater. "Be right back."

When you get off of the bus, you run inside after Kiyoko. Admittedly, you aren't quite sure what happened to her but you do know that you need to help before she feels even worse. However, the moment you step inside you see Kiyoko's hands covering her mouth as if she's about to puke any second. A silver haired man before her is pointing a gun at her head.

"Stay quiet," he says as he narrows his eyes at her. "Don't even fucking think about moving!"

You weigh your options. You could leave without Kiyoko and abandon this whole trip which would save you from the whole being in a cramped bus with four people and no escape. You could wait until the man kills her, finds you, and kills you too. Or you could try to intervene and save her life which is the only possible outcome in which you both might live.

With a sigh, you walk toward them and make your presence known. "Hey! What do you think you're doing with her, huh? Are you some kinda murderer?" you ask, scoffing at the idea as if you were testing his patience.

"I'm not a criminal," he shakes his head as he looks over at you. "I was a firefighter, I'll have you know!"

"And what does that have to do with anything?" you chuckle as you stand closer to him than Kiyoko does.

"That bus outside. Is it one of yours?" he asks.

You look over at Kiyoko who stays quiet. You don't think she's said anything to him yet.

"So what if it is?" you shrug.

"I need a ride. I'm going to Monimiaceae. Take me there and I won't kill the two of you and take the bus for myself."

"There are others in the bus, you know. You have no idea how many. Or if they have guns! Explosives even! Or, just maybe, the bus is where we store all of the dead bodies we collect," you grin wickedly.

"I doubt that significantly," he huffs. "Give me your answer or I'll fucking shoot you both!"

"Alright, fine," you shrug. "I'll take you to our bus and you can decide whether you want to come with us then or not," you say knowing how tiny that bus will feel with yet another person in it.

The man lowers his gun and the second he does, Kiyoko runs off. He watches her, bewildered at how quickly she goes. You look between him and Kiyoko before chasing after her. But as you do, you hear footsteps running behind you. The so-called firefighter is chasing after you as well.

When you get to the entrance of the bathroom you stop and then around. You put your hand out to stop the man as well. "This is the girls' room. It may be the end of the world but have at least some decency, okay?"

The man says nothing and leans up against the side of the wall. You turn away and push open the bathroom door. Inside, you hear the sounds of someone tossing their insides into one of the toilets. Quietly, you step back out to give her some privacy. What good would bugging her from behind a locked door do? When you step back out, of course, you bump right into your newest companion again.

"What's in Monimiaceae anyway?" you casually ask him as you walk towards a small stand with slim pickings of chips. You grab the first thing your eyes land on before walking towards a refrigerator that hasn't worked in six months and pulling out a soda.

"My brother," he replies calmly as he watches your every move. "He's supposedly living out there."

You nod as you click open the soda's aluminum cap and take a sip of the flat soda. "So you're going all the way out there, holding guns to innocent girls, and striking a deal with me all because your brother might be in Monimiaceae? Why would you even want to see him now?" As you talk, you step closer to him until you're leaning beside him against the same wall.

"Because a place where he might be is better than a place where he might not be," he explains poorly as you hand him the soda can. He sips on it as though the two of you had been friends for a long time- as if he hadn't just held a gun to your friend moments ago.

A few minutes into your small talk conversation, Kiyoko steps out of the bathroom. "Do you two know each other?" she asks nervously as she watches the stranger hand you the almost empty can.

"No, why would you think that?" you ask, thinking nothing of it. What a world you must live in to have a heartfelt conversation with someone who threatened your life.

"Because you're both sharing that can like you've been dating for months. Don't you think that's weird with that supposed virus going around?"

You shove the can against the stranger's chest as you stand away from him to keep your distance. "No, I don't know him at all! Kiyoko, he held a gun to you! If I knew him I would have been able to do something about that gun he still has," you assure her. "And that virus is just some rumor that's been going around since the outage started. I haven't seen a single case of it before. It isn't true."

You then sigh once you watch her eyebrows relax. "Are you alright?"

"Feeling better, thank you," she nods. "I guess I just got motion sickness."

"That's okay," you smile back. "Let's head towards the bus now, okay?"