luctus aglais io

chapter sixty four: luctus aglais io

"What do you want?" Suna asks the man. "Money? Drugs?"

"Like you've got any of that anymore," he scoffs. "Why do you want to leave here anyways? You're gonna be screwed if you leave, too, you know. No money. No home. Nothing. Don't act like your little girlfriend here won't leave you for someone else in the blink of an eye on the other side."

"There's more of us, you know," Suna then explains. "Fourteen to be exact. The odds are not in your favor, my friend."

"Yo!" Hinata's voice suddenly calls out. The rest of your group is walking over.

"What good timing," Suna smiles. "Did I mention most of us have guns, too? Pretty large ones, in fact."

"Go away. I have nothing," the man sighs, closing his eye again.

You and Suna exchange a defeated look before turning back to the others who are now approaching. Hinata, Oikawa, and Kenma get the closest and look behind you to see the sleeping man nearby.

"Oh shit," Oikawa whispers when he sees the fake sleeper. "Hajime?"

When you turn around, the man now has both of his eyes open looking past you toward Oikawa. "Fucking hell," he whispers to himself as Oikawa walks around you to get toward the stranger.

"Do you know him?" you ask, unintentionally ruining their reunion.

"This man was the co-owner of the casino I used to, well, co-own. Iwaizumi." Oikawa whispers in disbelief. "Hey, Hajime, do you really have a way out of here? You used to have a plane, didn't you?"

"You never shut the fuck up, do you?" Iwaizumi groans. "Yeah, I have a plane, but don't get your fucking hopes up. It's been broken. Why else do you think I'm hanging around this shit hole?"

"Dunno, maybe you were waiting for me," Oikawa grins hopefully. You've only seen these two talk for a few minutes, but you can already sense some kind of tension between the two of them.

"How 'bout this then," you begin to negotiate. "We'll help you with your plane, but then you gotta fly us out with you."

"Don't think I've got much of a choice between your guns and Oikawa's big mouth," he chuckles. "Alright, fine, but it's going to take some time even with the extra hands."

"Thanks, Hajime," Oikawa beams. "You won't regret it."

"Yeah, well, it's not like you'll last long. There's no food left. Not in the whole fucking place."

"That's fine, we got a bus and two cars," you interrupt. "Kenma and I will go get food. We can all share. Sound good?" you ask, turning towards Kenma.

"Fine with me," he nods back.

About a week later, you and Kenma head out on your last food run before finally departing from the airport

About a week later, you and Kenma head out on your last food run before finally departing from the airport. It's his turn to drive Yamaguchi's car, so you sit in the passenger seat beside him and watch as he puts the key in the ignition and places it in drive.

"You alright?" he asks as he drives out of the lot, heading toward the grocery store the two of you had discovered last week. "You look a bit out of it today, Y/N."

"I'm fine. Just a bit worried, you know. Like when we first got here, you weren't there, but Iwa said we'd be screwed even if we got out. All we'll have is ourselves. I don't know if Rin... if we'll..."

"All we can do is hope things work out," he tells you as he speeds down the road. "Suna cares about you. Everyone sees that. I don't think he'd leave just 'cause you're on the other side of the world together."

"Thanks, Kenma," you smile softly. "I used to think the same thing about you and Kuroo. I can tell how much you care about him. I mean, I don't think you'd still be here if it weren't for him."

"I don't think I'd be here at all," he nods in agreement. "But I'm glad that I am. God, he was a piece of work but my stomach still hurts every time I think about him."

"I'm sorry that it happened," you express as he turns into the lot of the grocery store. "He was a good person. He never wanted to harm or bother anyone. Shit, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?" you shake your head.

"You know that wasn't your fault, right? None of them. You aren't responsible for any of their deaths. Only Bokuto is to blame," he explains to you. "He was all kinds of fucked up in the head. You tried to help. It isn't your fault."

"He told me he wasn't going to leave," you whisper to Kenma as your eyes begin to fill with tears just like every other time you think about them. "He promised me that he'd stay."

"Promises and hearts have that in common," he sighs. "They're both meant to be kept, but end up being broken instead."

"You think we'll all make it out?" you ask him genuinely.

"I think," he begins as he looks out the window, "those of us who were meant to travel into the next world, will, and those who aren't, will stay behind."

"And you? Will you make it out?" you continue to question.

"Take it one day at a time, Y/N. We've still got a day or two before we actually take off. Let's go get food before the others get hangry, okay?"

"Sure," you nod as you watch him step out of the car and shut the door behind himself. Note to self: keep an eye on Kenma.