pugnando papilio

chapter twenty eight: pugnando papilio

"We should go back," Kuroo says as he takes a step towards the edge of the forest. "We need to get to the bottom of this."

Not any longer than five minutes after you arrive back at the site, fighting breaks out. Atsumu and Kuroo are at each other's necks with Kenma and Osamu standing close by, ready to get their hands dirty as well.

"Y/N!" Yachi calls out as she and Alisa run up to you. "What's going on?"

"You know exactly what's going on," Kuroo says in a pointed direction toward Atsumu. "We're all accusing each other without any real fucking evidence."

"Big talk from the asshole who started this whole thing," Atsumu spits.

"Fuck off," Kuroo returns the comment.

You sigh, finding it time to finally pull the two of them apart. You grab onto the back of Kuroo's shirt and yank him backward with some support from Kenma.

"You're so hot-tempered. Why don't you take a walk and chill out?" you tell Kuroo. "I promise we'll get this resolved but screaming at each other isn't the way to go."

"Yeah, whatever," he scoffs at you.

"C'mon let's just go," Kenma interjects as he pulls Kuroo away. "We'll come right back and figure it all out."

Your group watches as the two of them walk off. Atsumu then sits down in one of the camp chairs you had gotten from Walmart. Osamu hovers over him with a bottle of water, telling him to take deep breaths.

"How the fuck can I do that if that asshole keeps accusing me for something I didn't fucking do!" Atsumu shouts.

"But it's not like you can prove-" Osamu begins before his brother cuts him off.

"I know I can't prove it but I fucking know it was him!" he yells somehow even louder than before.

"Who?" you blurt out without even thinking.

"Like I said, Kuroo's the one who started the argument. I have no intention of starting a fight when I can't prove anything," Atsumu explains.

"Are you sure it's this person though?" you ask. "There's a reason why you think this way, right? Can you start by talking about that?"

Atsumu scoffs as though he has no intention of sharing any information with the group surrounding him right now. Perhaps because he does suspect either Bokuto or Osamu.

"Um, is there any way we can find out who did it?" Yachi then meekly asks you directly.

"I don't think so," you reply sadly. We have no forensics to analyze the data from the bullet or the gun and nobody else was in the room where it happened. Besides, we buried him so we can't just ask Tsukishima what he saw."

"Whatever happened to thinking it was a suicide?" Lev then asks completely out of the blue.

"I just don't think he would," you shake your head.

"Well, where was the gun when you walked into the room? Tsukishima's gun, that is?" Alisa adds to the conversation.

"Um... I don't know," you reply honestly as you look over at the twins. "Did you see it?"

"No," they both respond with a shake of their head.

"Bo?" you then ask.

"To be honest my attention was more on Tsukki than anything else. I didn't even think of it, so no. Sorry," he responds.

"I don't think Kuroo saw it either. Otherwise, he probably would have said something by now. God, is this really getting more confusing by the second?" you sigh.

"It is," Bokuto agrees disappointedly as he sits down beside Atsumu.

"Let's all just take a break, like Kuroo is. I say we go out separate ways and reconvene in an hour or so. What do you think?" you ask in serious need of a break from talking about it any longer.

"Yeah, okay," Atsumu nods.

"Fine with me," Lev shrugs.

"I'll be in the tent," Yachi says as she steps closer to Alisa.

"Yeah, me too," Alisa nods. "I'll be taking a nap."

"That's not a bad idea," Bokuto nods. "Think I'll do the same."

Soon, the only two people left outside are you and Atsumu. He looks down quietly at the water bottle Osamu gave him as you walk to take the seat Bokuto was previously occupying.

"I know what it looks like," Atsumu says in a whisper. "I know Osamu and I are prime suspects. It'd make sense since he had a gun and I'm his brother. That's what I would think if I were you, at least. But I'm pretty sure I know who it is, I'm so damn close to the truth. But-" he then pauses as if to stop himself before he says something wrong.

"But what?" you ask curiously, wondering what insight he's going to share. Is it something new you haven't thought of before?

"I was just thinking... what about the others. You know, the ones that weren't there. Isn't it possible that one of them could have followed us without our knowledge?" he suggests, shrugging it off as though it really is just a passing thought.

"Atsumu, you're right!" you let out with a gasp. "I didn't think of that before. But there's only one way to find out who it really is."

"How?" he asks with a hopeful look on his face.

"Whoever has the gun hidden away with their stuff. We'll just have to hope whoever does have it isn't being set up. It's not really bulletproof, but it's all we got," you admit to him.

"I say we get started then," he nods.

"Yeah, we just have to wait for everyone to get back," you reply as movement catches in the corner of your eye. You look to the side and see Kuroo over by the old shack with his and Tsukishima's fishing equipment. He then waves goodbye to Kenma and walks off into the woods. "I'll, uh, be right back," you then tell Atsumu as you stand up.

"What? I thought we were gonna get started on this now!" Atsumu calls out to you as you begin to walk away.

"I'll be right back, I promise! I've just got to check on something!"

Without another word, you run after Kuroo. Besides Bokuto, you've known Kuroo for the longest. You trust him enough to let him in on what Atsumu was suggesting.