piscis promittens

chapter twenty nine: piscis promittens

After running through the woods, you eventually find Kuroo setting up his fishing equipment next to Tsukishima's memorial. Astute as ever, he hears you running up behind him and turns around to face you.

"Care to join while you're here?" he asks as he holds out a second fishing rod.

"Thought you'd never ask," you smile as you slowly walk up to him. "You sure it's alright?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I feel a lot better now thanks to Kenma. He's a really good friend," he smiles softly. "Ya know, if I'm the next one to go, look out for Kenma for me, will ya?"

"Geez, don't talk like that," you shake your head as you reach into his makeshift tackle box. "As long as I'm around, there's no way I'm letting anything happen to you."

Kuroo nods quietly. You only find it a bit off-putting because it clashes with his outgoing personality. You wish he'd make some silly joke to lighten the mood, but when he doesn't, chains of anxiety and stress wrap around your body until you feel as though you might pass out. You've already lost one person, you can't even fathom the idea of losing anyone else.

"Wipe the tears from your eyes, Y/N," he shakes his head. "I'm just thankful I've made it this far."

You pause just as you impale the bait on the hook. That's when Kuroo's eyes glance to the side as he watches all positivity drain from your body.

"He loved you, ya know," he tells you. "Every time we came out here you're all he'd talk about."

At his words, you're not really sure of what to say. I mean, what are you supposed to say to that after he was probably murdered by one of your friends? Kuroo watches how you continue to ignore his gaze as you throw your link into the lake and stare out waiting for a bite.

"Did you ever feel the same?" he then asks nosily as he pierces a worm with his hook.

"I don't know," you admit sadly with a sigh. "I know that it hurts he's gone and I miss him with all my heart, but I don't know how I truly felt. How can I when we live in this fucked up mess?"

"Can't always blame everything on the 'fucked up' world we're living in. It is our reality now, after all," he explains.

"Yeah, thanks for that, mom," you smile softly as you nudge him in the side. Kuroo chuckles as he wraps his arm around you and pulls you in close to him.

"I know what I said before about me dying sounds super fucking morbid, but I swear on my life, Y/N, that as long as I'm around, I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. I promise."

"Then you better not plan on going anywhere either 'cause if you did, that'd be the worst thing I could think of," you admit.

Kuroo nods in agreement. "I don't plan on leaving any time soon. Besides, we've got to get to the bottom of this whole Tsukishima business."

"Speaking of that," you chime in, "Atsumu said something interesting to me just before I came down here..."

"Something incriminating?" he asks a bit too hopefully.

"No, nothing like that. But he said that we can't rule anybody out," you begin to explain.

"Well, of course not. Everybody who was there is a suspect at this point," he states the obvious as he casts his line.

"I know, but that's not what I mean. He made a point that we can't be certain of Lev, Alisa, Yachi, or even Kenma's whereabouts at the scene of the crime," you spell out.

"Kenma wouldn't-"

"But can you prove that with one hundred percent certainty? He could have followed us!" you interrupt.

"Y/N, you don't understand. Kenma isn't like that at all," he shakes his head.

"Well from my perspective, I don't think any of us would do it but it seems as though we're all dead set on it being a murder so it's got to be someone!" you remind him.

"It really gets on my nerves how smart you are," he shakes his head once more as he smiles over at you.

"I'm only being logical like everybody else. It's nothing special. I just don't get all angry and try to fight people like someone else..."

"I'd apologize, only I wouldn't want to say sorry just for him to turn around and admit it was him sometime down the road," he tells you as something tugs on the end of his line. You watch as he reels in an odd-looking fish you've never seen before.

"What the hell is that?" you laugh at its strange pink color as though you could see straight through it.

"Tsukki and I called it a promitto," he smiles to himself. "It's Latin for promise. We came up with it 'cause the fish gives us the nutrition we need to see another day, like a promise we can keep on living."

"I've never seen one like it before," you say as you watch the fish wriggle against the hook.

"Don't you know?" he smirks as he looks over at you. "That's because all promises are different."

"Kinda like snowflakes," you laugh.

"Exactly like that."

Just then, you feel a tug on your line. You begin to reel in your fish until finally, it pops out of the water, wriggling just like Kuroo's. It looks somewhat similar to the other, but a bit bigger and more transparent looking."

"Good catch," he chuckles as he watches you struggle to finish reeling it in. "I think you win. I'm gonna toss mine back in. Don't want them all going extinct, do we? Then there'd be no promittos left."